Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon4.gif  White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71784] Thu, 18 July 2013 08:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey all,

we have some excellent news to share with you! As of today, White Strong & Flexible models ship in 6 business days instead of 8. Please read the announcement on the blog for the full details.

This has been a huge team effort, and we're truly proud that we've been able to get the shipping time down!

Enjoy Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71873 is a reply to message #71784 ] Fri, 19 July 2013 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Congrats Bart, and team! Two days may not seem like a whole lot, but with the volume Shapeways processes, I'm bet it took a LOT of effort.

So when are we going to get 4 day shipping? Razz Smile

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71967 is a reply to message #71873 ] Mon, 22 July 2013 23:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Good move! Surprised

If I were going to create a competitive company like Shapeways the very first thing I would do is cut the lead times down to a day or two. Until products are able to be obtained by consumers in the same time frame they are accustom to, success will lag behind.

I would implement a little known trick the airline industry uses called standby flights. Basically, an aircraft is going to spend the same amount fuel whether it is full of passengers or not and the same situation applies to 3D printing. You basically spend the same amount of time printing whether the print tray is full or not. So, I would do the same as the airline industry and offer standby printing, wherein, a designer could have their products printed on standby at a lower rate.

But then, what would happen once it is printed? I'd have an array of lockers at the two factories similar in appearance to the lockers you see at train stations and I would rent those out to any designer that wanted to rent one. That way designers could actually sell products, cuz the lead times would be inline with the normal consumer product lead times. This would allow Shapeways to be compensated as well from monthly rental fees. The fees would be justified since there just isn't enough room for storing every product Shapeways offers.

I have other ideas! You're lucky I'm not your competitor! hehehe Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71971 is a reply to message #71967 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 01:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The difference in this case is that it doesn't work that way.. more items to print consumes significantly more electricity than 'dead space'. It's cheaper in this case to actually have the "empty seats". Yes, the print head has to pass back and forth an equal number of times, so you don't save any time, but it takes extra electricity to fuse the powder or congeal the liquid.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71981 is a reply to message #71971 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 06:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
"you basically spend the same amount of time printing whether the print tray is full or not. So, I would do the same as the airline industry and offer standby printing,"

Why do you think so?
The more models, the higher your printer tray the longer it takes to print.

A small tray is significantly faster!

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #71983 is a reply to message #71981 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
stonysmith wrote on Tue, 23 July 2013 01:52

The difference in this case is that it doesn't work that way.. more items to print consumes significantly more electricity than 'dead space'. It's cheaper in this case to actually have the "empty seats". Yes, the print head has to pass back and forth an equal number of times, so you don't save any time, but it takes extra electricity to fuse the powder or congeal the liquid.

True true, but, I was going more for an analogy of print time in relation to jet fuel. Very Happy Then again, I could have it completely wrong regarding time based on Mitchell's comment.

MitchellJetten wrote on Tue, 23 July 2013 06:58

"you basically spend the same amount of time printing whether the print tray is full or not. So, I would do the same as the airline industry and offer standby printing,"

Why do you think so?
The more models, the higher your printer tray the longer it takes to print.

A small tray is significantly faster!

Correct, but Shapeways does not have next day service. Why is that? Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't it cuz Shapeways has the lowest price and they have the lowest price cuz they are printing as efficiently as possible, which is why we have these long lead times. Shapeways is waiting for print trays to fill up with orders so as to print as efficiently as possible. Correct?

If it were the case that Shapeways didn't have enough machines then they would fall behind on stated lead times and consequently could end up having a huge backlog that would eventually become impossible to fulfill.

For polyamide there are service bureaus that can print my order by the next day using the EXACT same machines. Very Happy

Shapeways' polyamide now has a lead time of 6 business days, which in reality is 8 days. Sooooooo, what is Shapeways doing for 7 DAYS AFTER I PLACE MY ORDER! HAHAHA! Laughing

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #72336 is a reply to message #71983 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Correct, but Shapeways does not have next day service. Why is that? Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't it cuz Shapeways has the lowest price and they have the lowest price cuz they are printing as efficiently as possible, which is why we have these long lead times. Shapeways is waiting for print trays to fill up with orders so as to print as efficiently as possible. Correct?

That's not how it works - most printer types have a certain amount of 'down time' between cycles. This would include cooling down, cleaning, and heating up again. In order to produce efficiently, we need to keep this downtime to a minimum. In addition, printing time on an SLS machine roughly equals the time that's required for a tray to cool down before we can 'unpack' and process it. We have plenty of orders coming in, we never have to hold a tray to wait until it fills up.

So if you combine these two, for a next day service, we could only offer 12 hours print jobs, or trays of about 12cm high (these machines print about 1cm per hour). You'd need people working night shifts to start or finish these machines.

All in all, it would decrease our efficiency a lot! For now, we're focusing on providing the best possible price and quality for everyone. Still, faster and even 'express' delivery is on our radar Wink

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #72352 is a reply to message #72336 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
[quote title=bartv wrote on Mon, 29 July 2013 12:48]
Quote:

... and even 'express' delivery is on our radar

I wonder how long it will be before you can offer "for delivery yesterday".... <grin>

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #72357 is a reply to message #72352 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
stonysmith wrote on Mon, 29 July 2013 16:21

I wonder how long it will be before you can offer "for delivery yesterday".... <grin>

Soon followed by "every idle thought you have is automatically materialized and delivered to your doorstep... Shocked
Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #72358 is a reply to message #72336 ] Mon, 29 July 2013 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I see I see! I'll stand corrected on that! Surprised

I'm glad to hear that you guys are working to speed things up! The price is fine for small things, it's the lead time that kills it for me. The faster you guys can get things to my customers the more and more interested I become and the more interested I become the more effort I will put into it. So far, I've only invested a small amount of effort solely cuz of lead times.

There are going to be a number of open source SLS printers available by this time next year due to patents expiring in February 2014. The only hurdle I see is getting a hold of the same polyamide powder you guys are using, but the maker community will figure out how to get it I'm sure, even if they have to make a group buy from Evonik Industries. Consequently, Shapeways should have operations running that accounts for this, such as getting lead times wayyyyy down! Very Happy

I'll be standing by and watching how things progress over the next year. Smile

Re: White, Strong and Faster! Now Shipping in 6 Days [message #72382 is a reply to message #72358 ] Tue, 30 July 2013 00:13 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Carl Deckard's patent will expire this coming February.

Previous Topic:Plastic to Steel, channel and hole width
Next Topic:Necessary Roughness necklace

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.