Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Metalcasting
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Metalcasting [message #4798] Sun, 07 June 2009 16:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Was browsing about ye ole internet and came across a site that might be the answer to various questions posted around the forums regarding Metal Casting using Shapeways model. Just for signing up they are offering two free guides to metal casting techniques. They cover far more than just metal casting.

Thought a few folks about here would like to take a look at them.

http://www.metalcastingzone.com/

WiKKiD
Re: Metalcasting [message #7184 is a reply to message #4798 ] Thu, 08 October 2009 23:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar tanix  is currently offline tanix
Go to all my models
Pretty cool. If you aren't familiar with these guys, they are the kings of do-it-yourself casting:

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

Let me give you a bit of advice, though. I've taken classes and cast aluminum, bronze and even iron. Those processes are inherently dangerous and really should be done under supervision the first few times.

Pewter, however, is relatively safe if you use the lead-free variants. For that matter, there are numerous resins that present no danger of death-by-fire.

What I'm saying is that you should consider starting out on low temperature metals or resins, refine your process, then proceed to aluminum. After that you can do the higher temperature alloys.

Safety first, and believe me... casting can go bad quickly. I have a shirt that is covered in pewter because of my lack of care one afternoon. I keep that shirt as a reminder that if I hadn't been wearing glasses that day I would have probably lost an eye.

"Just this once" is the most dangerous phrase on the planet.

Previous Topic:Dyeing WSF?
Next Topic:Cutting out shapes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.