Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Full Color Sandstone question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Full Color Sandstone question [message #71777] Thu, 18 July 2013 06:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar leessmith  is currently offline leessmith
Go to my shop
Hey all,

My son wants me to print out some little space ships that I made for him, I made some posters but now seeing me work on stuff for Shapeways he wants to get them printed.

I use 3ds Max and just cannot see any sort of workflow video on how to model for multi colour printing with Sandstone. It will be mainly greys, silver and some lighter colours for panels and windows.

Has anyone used 3ds Max to produce a model for printing in sandstone, any tips on how to assign colours to areas for printing correctly.

Cheers

Steven
Re: Full Color Sandstone question [message #71779 is a reply to message #71777 ] Thu, 18 July 2013 06:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Check Full Color 3D Printing from 3dsMax in the "Tutorials" menu. (Though depending on your needs, there may be a simpler method that just assigns colors to individual faces - a.k.a. "vertex painting" instead of requiring to create an image texture for your object first).
Re: Full Color Sandstone question [message #71780 is a reply to message #71779 ] Thu, 18 July 2013 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leessmith  is currently offline leessmith
Go to my shop
Hey,

yeh sorry I should have said I saw that but it seemed to just be a uv onto a flat surface.

I wasn't sure if I can create a multisub material with all the colours I need and then just assign an ID to the various polys (engines, panels, windows etc etc), but then I wanted to put a decal on the wing so I was back to wondering if it needs to be unwrapped and supply a single 2048 x 2048 photoshop files with the colours laid out.

It's a little confusing to figure out the right method.

Thanks.
Re: Full Color Sandstone question [message #71798 is a reply to message #71777 ] Thu, 18 July 2013 14:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you assign the pieces colors (as mkroeker mentioned), that should export in the vrml. Let me know if this works, or if you find another method as I'm currently working on updating the tutorials. I'd have to check, but you may be able to take your vertex painted model, import into another software like blender to add the label for UV mapping the decal on the wing. If you need any help with that feel free to send me the model and I can try it out and tell you how I did it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Converting File Format Software
Next Topic:Help Modifying an STL file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.