Home » Community » General Discussion » Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71507] Fri, 12 July 2013 16:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
As you should know, Nikola Tesla's birthday was Wednesday. What better way to celebrate the life of a super genius inventor that has shaped our lives in so many ways, then a contest for some super genius inspired designs?

index.php?t=getfile&id=36323&private=0

So your challenge, if you accept it, is to create a printable design that represents Tesla, and or one of his contributions. AC power, radio waves, wireless transition of electricity, what ever you use most, or see as most impressive.

Post a picture of you model here, describe it's inspiration, and the model itself (material, usage, etc)

What's the prize?

$25 to use towards your creation, or any other Shapeways purchase.

That's all?

That's it, so plug into your AC outlet, use your wireless router, sit in your electrified thinking chair, and get designing

http://www.teslasociety.com/coil3.jpg

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71509 is a reply to message #71507 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 17:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
My tribute to the Man. I made this a few months ago so feel free to exclude me from the competition part, if its against the rules.

index.php?t=getfile&id=36324&private=0

Based on his famous 1896 photo portrait, this is a 3D relief framed micro-painting representation, to honor one of the greatest inventors in human history.

I made it as a totem, to adorn my office and turn to for inspiration, when I am out of fresh ideas.
He's like my inventor guardian angel Very Happy

The choice for the FCS material was obvious since it's the only multicolored option for my micro-painting and it helps to keep costs down.

Nikola, I salute you!!!

• Attachment: Tesla 6.jpg
    (Size: 113.17KB, Downloaded 647 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2013 17:48 UTC]

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
www.facebook.com/byInnovoDesign
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71510 is a reply to message #71507 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib is currently online MrNib
Go to my shop
This contest makes me all tingly inside!
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71514 is a reply to message #71510 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
MrNib wrote on Fri, 12 July 2013 17:50

This contest makes me all tingly inside!

You may be sitting too close to your Tesla Coil Razz.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71518 is a reply to message #71514 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
This looks very cool - my first time entering one of these (and my first time seeing the contest in time to actually do so). And what an awesome contest idea, too! Tesla for the win.

I have a few ideas.... muahaha.
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71524 is a reply to message #71518 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If only we could mix metal+plastic in the same model.. we could print our own Telsa coils. Very Happy

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71526 is a reply to message #71507 ] Fri, 12 July 2013 21:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar trishycakes  is currently offline trishycakes
Go to my shop
I have wanted to make this ring for my Mom for a long time. She is a major Tesla fan. It is made to resemble the patterns created by a tesla coil around an object--your finger. I have always been fascinated with electricity and Tesla coils are super cool.

The Model can be found here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1207157/tesla-coil-ring.html

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/7245/yx2v.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/9972/v5v.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2346/tpcl.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/844/d3qv.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/2919/js29.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/1457/e2vu.png

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71560 is a reply to message #71526 ] Sun, 14 July 2013 02:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Brian_Richardson  is currently offline Brian_Richardson
Go to my shop
Like all great inventors, the power comes from the Mustache.

index.php?t=getfile&id=36442&private=0

Mustache is removable from base, so you can tape it to your face!
I would recommend getting it in WSF and painting it with glow paint. Since you can't print lightning.

Model is here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1209047/teslastache.html?

• Attachment: tesla 1.jpg
    (Size: 155.84KB, Downloaded 484 time(s))

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71568 is a reply to message #71560 ] Sun, 14 July 2013 07:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great contest idea! Surprised

I'm too busy to enter, but It'll be fun to watch and see who wins.

Stony, I wish we could do this too! Very Happy

We could make the first primary out of steel, but what about the secondaries and second primary. Has anyone ever bothered to test if any of the black materials are conductive at high voltages? Or alumide? If any were we could use one of those to make the secondaries and second primary.

The ceramic material would most likely work as a good dialectic at high voltage.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71572 is a reply to message #71568 ] Sun, 14 July 2013 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Daphne  is currently offline Daphne
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
When is the deadline?
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71579 is a reply to message #71572 ] Sun, 14 July 2013 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Daphne wrote on Sun, 14 July 2013 12:48

When is the deadline?

Embarassed How'd I miss that? End of the day Monday.

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71590 is a reply to message #71507 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 05:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tomatwell  is currently offline tomatwell
Go to my shop
I am new to Shapeways and have not yet set up shop. I am in the test phase and have only received a few parts so far.

So, I saw this contest and thought I would make a quick weekend attempt.

One of the iconic designs of Nikola Tesla is Wardencllyffe Tower. It was built for wireless electrical transmission. If this concept had proved out we would see these on the landscape today. Instead of our current electrical towers strung in a line all interconnected with wires, we would have one of these at a power generating plant and another at a receiving station with no connections in between. Wouldn't that be cool!

For my model I found old images of the original and images of a model that someone else had done. I took a few quick overall measurements of the original. The tower is straight forward, but the top dome structure is a bit of a mystery. The old images don't show enough detail to discern the actual geometry. The images of the model do not seem to match up exactly with the original. A quick look at the patent was no help either.

In the end I simplified some of the design and just guessed for other areas. I could not make the dome members as thin as they appear in the original. So, there are some discrepancies there, also.

I do think the overall appearance is a good mimic of the original. If I had more time I would probably throw in more detail and try to get a more accurate rendering.

The Model can be found here: http://shpws.me/otNl
https://images.shapeways.com/model/picture/674x501_1210958_1137475_1373859335.jpg
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71591 is a reply to message #71507 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 06:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coolbutpointless  is currently offline coolbutpointless
Go to all my models
One of my favorite things about Tesla is his love of the sphere to the point of having a custom spherical urn created to store his ashes upon his death. As such, I have designed this pendant with his urn as a central theme:

index.php?t=getfile&id=36496&private=0

The central piece is a "hovering" sphere, representing his urn containing the remnants of his greatness. Emitting from the rear are stylized electrical arcs representing both his explosive genius and his experiments with all manner of electricity!

It is intended to be created in any of the glossy metals, any of the silvers, but would be best created in the premium silver!

While it may not be the most immediately obvious Tesla reference, I feel it would be a good conversation starter at a party when complimented by a matching silver chain. It could also be made to function as a pin with minor modification to the model.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 July 2013 06:42 UTC]

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71592 is a reply to message #71507 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 06:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sorhain  is currently offline sorhain
Go to my shop
This is another wonderful contest idea!!

I thought coils would be a great idea for earrings (hooks not included). This is what I came up with Smile
And here is the link to the model for more views:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1211168/tesla-earrings.html
index.php?t=getfile&id=36497&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 16 July 2013 05:48 UTC]

www.corinnehansen.com sorhain@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71594 is a reply to message #71592 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 12:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Wow I love the concepts here. Had a good laugh about Brian_Richardson's moustache - you may be on to something here Wink

Nice choice of topic Mike, good work Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71601 is a reply to message #71507 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 12:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Mrnib had a minor car fender bender this weekend and will likely be on the phone and doing paperwork instead of honoring Mr Tesla...
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71617 is a reply to message #71568 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Alumide is definately non-conductive. I've tested it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71619 is a reply to message #71590 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
tomatwell wrote on Mon, 15 July 2013 05:07

One of the iconic designs of Nikola Tesla is Wardencllyffe Tower. It was built for wireless electrical transmission. If this concept had proved out we would see these on the landscape today. Instead of our current electrical towers strung in a line all interconnected with wires, we would have one of these at a power generating plant and another at a receiving station with no connections in between. Wouldn't that be cool!

If I'm not mistaken, the tower was meant to transmit and also be powered by the Earth's ionosphere, eliminating the need for power generating plants.
Unlimited free electricity... Would be very cool, but not very profitable.

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71621 is a reply to message #71617 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Stony. I see I see, thanks for the feedback. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71623 is a reply to message #71507 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar draw  is currently offline draw
Go to my shop
Here is a Nikola Tesla stamp ring from the ring creator but only in size 5. Nick is a bit wide in the face with larger ring sizes. I selected WSF because metal finger rings and Tesla lightning don't mix!

index.php?t=getfile&id=36524&private=0

http://shpws.me/oumy

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71639 is a reply to message #71623 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 00:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Just an exercise of the Tesla Turbine.
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1212894/tesla-turbine.html
http://tinyurl.com/ox7cjwz
index.php?t=getfile&id=36555&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71648 is a reply to message #71639 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I saw this model on our site a few weeks ago: the Tesla Valve. As a physicist, I'm baffled that this actually works! Check out the video on YouTube as well.

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71670 is a reply to message #71507 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 14:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I need to stop picking such good topics, you guys can sure make picking a winner hard!

Innovo - I'd love to have that on my desk. Currently have 2D print outs of Tesla, Einstein, and Davinci looking over me.
trishycakes - That looks electrifying! Hope to see that at a future Baltimore meetup?
Brian_Richardson - The power of the Stash! A few of us Shapeways employees try to empower these with the use of beard power as well
tomatwell - Way to kick off being a new user, jumping right into a contest! One of many lost Tesla contributions that would make our technological world even more impressive.
coolbutpointless - Not sure his greatness could fit in such a small urn lol. But I certainly wouldn't mind having a piece of it.
sorhain - Can't have electrical coolness without coils.
draw - Stamps for the new ring creator. Interesting idea! 20 cent postage, those were the days.
JACANT - One of his great inventions, I can only image what he'd do with a 3D printer.
bartv - Great find! Need more Tesla recreations!

MrNib - oh no! Hopefully you're still inspired to create something without an award.
Daphne - Guess the deadline was too soon? Same goes to you, you guys can still share with us your inspiration!

Certainly not a run away winner, as all of the entries are amazing!
Alas I can only pick one, and this week it's Brian_Richardson with the Teslastache. I can't help but think that even Tesla would crack a rare smirk at your creation. And I'll add 3D printed lightning to the material wish list.

Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71672 is a reply to message #71507 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 15:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
bartv wrote on Tue, 16 July 2013 09:58

I saw this model on our site a few weeks ago: the Tesla Valve. As a physicist, I'm baffled that this actually works! Check out the video on YouTube as well.

That is interesting! It's almost the electrical equivalent of a microwave waveguide filter except that such filters are generally bidirectional. They use structures like slots, holes, cylinders, cavities, etc. in a metal waveguide path to control what frequencies of electromagnetic energy are allowed to pass through the structure and which ones are blocked.

http://www.microwavedesign.net/product_images/microwave_product_waveguide_lowpass_filters.jpg

You can probably think of this Tesla gizmo as a unidirectional low pass filter, with constant unidirectional laminar air flow in one direction being equivalent to DC current. When you blow in the opposite direction you are essentially creating many kinds of circulating and reverse air flows (resonant or perhaps chaotic but certainly non-laminar) that tend to impede the flow of air. Another rough analog would be petting a porcupine. You only pet a porcupine from snout to tail, not the other way around!

Perhaps we next week we could have a contest to develop an app that recreates auto accidents with 3D prints? Rolling Eyes
. .
Re: Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week [message #71674 is a reply to message #71648 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
bartv wrote on Tue, 16 July 2013 09:58

I found that amazing myself! Did he envision this in his mind as working I wonder or did he have other clues that led him to this design. He said that he could see machines working in his mind and could let them run in his mind and come back later and check for things like wear.

Michael Faraday, Leonardo Da Vinci and Nikola Tesla are my three most favorite people. Smile

Previous Topic:Need advice, want to print 2 coloured metal pendants
Next Topic:Next 2 weeks: Meet us in Taupo (New Zealand), Los Angeles and Singapore!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.