Home » Support » 3D Design » Multiple parts in model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multiple parts in model [message #71536] Sat, 13 July 2013 08:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Freakazoitt  is currently offline Freakazoitt
Go to my shop
If model contain removable multiple parts, it should be placed in one file or in different files?
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71543 is a reply to message #71536 ] Sat, 13 July 2013 11:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Except for silver (cufflink or earring pairs only) "multiple parts per STL file" is allowed in the design guidelines of all materials.
(For the strong&flexible material, putting several parts in one file can even reduce your cost, as you get a discount on big models as long
as the density stays above 10%)
If some parts are too small to easily pick up with fingers alone, or if your model contains many small parts, it may be neccessary to join them
together with a sprue.
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71606 is a reply to message #71543 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 14:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
mkroeker wrote on Sat, 13 July 2013 11:04

Except for silver (cufflink or earring pairs only) "multiple parts per STL file" is allowed in the design guidelines of all materials.
(For the strong&flexible material, putting several parts in one file can even reduce your cost, as you get a discount on big models as long
as the density stays above 10%)
If some parts are too small to easily pick up with fingers alone, or if your model contains many small parts, it may be neccessary to join them
together with a sprue.

The rule for silver applies for Stainless as well.

And for small parts, individual parts must be greater than the minimum size for the given material. Check the material guidelines for each materials individual rules on multiple parts.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71614 is a reply to message #71606 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 16:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Mon, 15 July 2013 14:32

The rule for silver applies for Stainless as well.

Then the Design Guidelines for Stainless need updating. They state:

Multiple Part per STL: Yes. Best for things like earrings and cufflinks.

This statement implies a suggestion not a rule.
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71616 is a reply to message #71536 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 16:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I will verify if it's a suggestion or a rule. Either way it needs to be updated as that is too vague of a statement.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71660 is a reply to message #71616 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 12:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
As we're on the topic of stainless, Duann has made this post in the blog.

In the comments afterwards he writes:
Quote:

With stainless steel there can be a grey area between design rules and guidelines, given the right geometry we can sometimes print details smaller than 3mm.

#2.1 Duann on 2013-07-15 14:12 (Reply)

Is this official that 3mm is not the min thickness? Given the problems with other materials can it be guaranteed that after a model with these dimensions has printed once it will not be rejected afterwards for not meeting min. thickness?
Re: Multiple parts in model [message #71671 is a reply to message #71536 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 15:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
Going thinner, is a grey area. It depends on the geometry, and even then because of the complicated stainless process, can fail.

According to the guidelines

Quote:

Thin wires are sometimes OK if they are well supported.
Thin wires in the 1.5-3mm range are printable if they extend only a little before encountering thicker walls for support. If there is a long bar with no support, the model will fail to print. In this image, even though the wires are thin, this model can be produced since there are no long stretches where the wires are unsupported.

So I can't say for sure that an item won't be rejected after printing.

As for multiple parts per file, currently you can put as many as you can fit into the max poly and file size. This will more than likely change with the guideline update, as we lose money fast with too many pieces in an order.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel "Wet Sand" rule?
Next Topic:Models with objects from Movies/Video Games/Books etc.