Home » Community » General Discussion » The line between detail and wall
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
The line between detail and wall [message #71257] Tue, 09 July 2013 14:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Razoric480  is currently offline Razoric480
Go to my shop
A model I put up was given print runs in a couple material (WSF and FD) successfully. However, upon attempting to print it in WSF polished, the model was rejected for parts I thought were more like surface detail, hence why I didn't double measure them or make them thicker.

In the image below, I can see that the top of the leg may be more of a wall, so that'd be my own fault. But surrounding the exhaust hole, I feel that is more of an emboss-and-engrave rather than a wall.

So my question is, what is the distinction between detail and structure? I'd like to have as complete a checklist as I can before I order prints. It's not so bad at the moment since we're in the prototyping phase, but given the time it takes between being made aware of these issues and subsequently getting a printed prototype, getting it the first time would be nice.

Re: The line between detail and wall [message #71262 is a reply to message #71257 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We are currently working on cleaning up our definitions as far as wall, wire, or detail. Between wall and detail is a little easier. A detail, below the specifications for wall thickness, must not be taller than it is thick. So if your detail is .25 wide, it can't be more than .25 tall. For tapered details, the angle must be at least 45 degrees so it never crosses the taller than wide barrier.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: The line between detail and wall [message #71264 is a reply to message #71262 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Razoric480  is currently offline Razoric480
Go to my shop
Mmh, alright. Thank you, that already clears up a lot of confusion.
Re: The line between detail and wall [message #71311 is a reply to message #71264 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 23:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The usage of the word "wire" was in my opinion, an attempt to clarify a specific topic that has confounded many designers.

The way I would define it:

A wire is any shape that has two dimensions roughly equal to each other, where the 3rd dimension is bigger than either of them by a factor of 2.
It really doesn't matter whether the cross-section of the shape is square, circular, or even 63 sided.

A wall is any shape where two of the dimensions are significantly larger than the minimum wall thickness and the third dimension is close to the minimum wall thickness OR a wall is any shape that protrudes farther from a perpendicular surface than it is wide.

A detail is any shape that is attached to a wall and protrudes less from the wall than the it is wide.

=====
The real trouble enters the topic is when the cross section shrinks to approximately the wall thickness. These materials are not infinitely strong.. If you make a wire 1cm thick and 10cm long (expensive), that solid block of plastic is not going to break during normal handling and shipping. If on the other hand, you make a wire that is only 0.3mm thick, and still 10cm long, it is possible that it will break under it's own weight if you grasp just one end and hold it out horizontally.

You also must take into account what is on the ends of the "wire". For any given length of wire, there is a limit as to how much mass can be supported on the ends of that wire before it breaks.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Marvel removed my models
Next Topic:Elasto Plastic Meetups

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.