Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71276] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar npm1  is currently offline npm1
Go to my shop
Hello Blenderheads,
I am having issues with the dimensions of my model, when in blender its the correct dimensions as i require but when i import it into shapeways using the online uploader the dimensions change....

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4475/0r.png

the dilema is in the picture above/ attached to this post

Please help

Kind regards,
npm1

• Attachment: Issue.png
    (Size: 305.30KB, Downloaded 33 time(s))

Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71277 is a reply to message #71276 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What file format are you uploading?

What units did you specify?
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71279 is a reply to message #71277 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for responding

i uploaded the file in STL, and the units used are milimeters-i've even tried inches

Kind regards,

npm1
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71281 is a reply to message #71279 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
From your Y dimension, before and after - .382/15 = 0.0254 so you probably have both an mm/inch and a mm/m conversion
problem here.
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71283 is a reply to message #71281 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mkroeker wrote on Tue, 09 July 2013 16:57

From your Y dimension, before and after - .382/15 = 0.0254 so you probably have both an mm/inch and a mm/m conversion
problem here.

How do i solve this issue
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71286 is a reply to message #71279 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Two approaches:

1. Export and upload as .x3d - I think in this case it will automatically keep your dimensions;

2. Export and upload as .stl, but use meters as your unit.

If you want to check what is happening separately, get Netfabb Basic (free) and load the .stl into that. It will tell you what dimensions the model actually has and may be useful to you down the line for other reasons (visualising and fixing mesh problems).

Good luck!
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71291 is a reply to message #71286 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
netfabb studio basic will also let you rescale your stl for upload in case you cannot figure out what goes on in blender
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71292 is a reply to message #71286 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for all your time....peeps, you helped especially AmLachDesigns with his/hers tip on uploading the file....

Does 500 euros sound right fo an item with the following dimensions?

14.49cm x 15cm x 22.23cm its hollow with a wall thickness of 1cm
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71293 is a reply to message #71292 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Not totally unlikely given its relatively large size - do you really need 1cm walls ??
Re: dimensions of model in blender not equal to dimensions displayed in shapeways [message #71295 is a reply to message #71292 ] Tue, 09 July 2013 17:42 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No problem, glad to help.

npm1 wrote on Tue, 09 July 2013 17:24

Does 500 euros sound right for an item with the following dimensions?
That is the correct price for that volume with Shapeways for wsf. Does that make it right...

mkroeker has a good point - 1cm thick walls will probably produce an over-engineered object, depending of course on what you are trying to do. If you want to share some more information, perhaps we could offer some suggestions on reducing the cost. For most of the materials the decisive factor is the volume of the model, so any reduction in that helps. But you must understand that for 3d printing with Shapeways, that is a large model and it will never be inexpensive.

Previous Topic:Materials for use in cryogenics
Next Topic:Maya export issues

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.