Home » Community » It arrived! » Mechanical Hairpin
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mechanical Hairpin [message #70742] Mon, 01 July 2013 01:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
My Mechanical Hairpin arrived this week in Royal Blue, Hot Pink, and Black Strong & Flexible. This is the fourth iteration of this model, as the clearances between the six gears had to be tweaked so that they were neither too loose nor fused together. The six gears work in unison to move the three prongs at the head of the hairpin. The prongs hold flowers in place, even when the hairpin is turned upside down.

index.php?t=getfile&id=35622&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=35623&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=35624&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=35625&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=35626&private=0

The Hot Pink version moved freely when it arrived. The Royal Blue and Black versions were bound up with powder when they arrived, but I was able to free them by running the head under warm water while gently working the prongs back and forth. I worked the prongs back and forth several times to free trapped powder, and they now move as intended.

Edit: I have added a video of the mechanism working here.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 July 2013 23:07 UTC]

Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70750 is a reply to message #70742 ] Mon, 01 July 2013 06:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
That's neat! Do you have a video showing how the mechanism works?

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70766 is a reply to message #70742 ] Mon, 01 July 2013 14:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Mechanical and hair sounds potentially painful. Lovely results though!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70787 is a reply to message #70766 ] Mon, 01 July 2013 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@denali3ddesign Thanks! No, I don't have a video yet of the mechanism in action. I ran out of good light while taking pictures, and central Michigan has been under a constant cloud since then. As soon as I have some sunshine and an extra set of hands I'll make a video.

@Youknowwho4eva Thanks for thinking it's lovely! The mechanism doesn't move when it is holding flowers and I haven't had any hair entrapment incidents with the test subject yet. I'll have to give the extra two hairpins away to other friends so they can test it and see if entanglement will be an issue.
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70917 is a reply to message #70787 ] Wed, 03 July 2013 20:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
The mechanic is awesome! Really great design!

Michael

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70947 is a reply to message #70742 ] Thu, 04 July 2013 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
Love these! They are perfect for the wedding marketplace.
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70951 is a reply to message #70947 ] Thu, 04 July 2013 13:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Props! http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #70997 is a reply to message #70742 ] Thu, 04 July 2013 23:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks!

I have added a video of the mechanism working at http://youtu.be/BePjwi0kzOw
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #71096 is a reply to message #70997 ] Sat, 06 July 2013 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Clever design. Smile Thanks for the video!

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Mechanical Hairpin [message #71122 is a reply to message #70742 ] Sun, 07 July 2013 06:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar caretdashcaret  is currently offline caretdashcaret
Go to my shop
Oh man, that is super cool looking!

I'm impressed!

Thanks for sharing the design!

Previous Topic:Raider - Tribes Ascend
Next Topic:Alternating Cube by BRAM & OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.