Home » Community » It arrived! » Am I expecting too much??
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Am I expecting too much?? [message #7051] Sat, 03 October 2009 15:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar tanix  is currently offline tanix
Go to all my models
I just got several prints in various materials, and I'm pretty pleased with them except for the stainless steel version. Have a look at the images:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1490&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1491&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1492&private=0

All the prints look reasonably good, but the stainless steel one has a problem. Check out the bottom and you'll see what I mean.

Am I expecting too much from the stainless steel printing problem? The small crosses are, well... small, so I'm wondering if stainless is just not suitable for this sort of thing. The small crosses are a bit over 5 cm tall.

I don't have any geometry problems, as evidenced by the WSF version next to it.

I'm bummed just because the rest of the stainless print looks exactly as I expected.

Any ideas?

• Attachment: group.jpg
    (Size: 291.14KB, Downloaded 761 time(s))

• Attachment: two.jpg
    (Size: 267.47KB, Downloaded 762 time(s))

• Attachment: detal.jpg
    (Size: 93.98KB, Downloaded 765 time(s))

Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7053 is a reply to message #7051 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Also, I'm seriously interested in feedback here... if I'm trying to do something that isn't suitable to the process, please let me know.
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7054 is a reply to message #7051 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Tanix,
This looks like a print error. The print jets can occasionally misfire and this will create gaps. I think this is what happened on your cross. When this occurs in wall sections it appears as a linear crack. On your Cross this occurred on an outer surface. The technician probably did not notice this. I'd ask Shapeways to print it again. You are not expecting too much. Spectacular results are possible with the SS printing. But, as with any process, s... happens.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7055 is a reply to message #7053 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar swirlingbrain  is currently offline swirlingbrain
Go to my shop
I expected the transparent to come out more of a honey color but in your image it looks really transparent like glass. I like that very much. Is it really transparent or just the image again't the table that I can't tell it's really honey color?

To me the stainless looks like it has a problem. Probably like the other guy said, it probably had a print head problem during printing.
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7057 is a reply to message #7055 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That's good to hear! I was bummed out because the rest of it looked exactly like I was picturing, with just that one problem area.

I'll point customer service to this thread and see what they think.

Thanks!

Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7058 is a reply to message #7055 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The transparent material has a bit of a honey tint to it, but it's pretty slight. The photo is pretty close to how it looks.
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7059 is a reply to message #7051 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 18:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Yes it looks like an error to me too. I've not experienced a defect like this in any of the metals i've ordered from shapeways, or elsewhere.

So no worries, i think the whole cross is supposed to look exactly as the good part looks.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7060 is a reply to message #7058 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tree  is currently offline tree
Go to my shop
dose the metal print have a slight convex thing gonig on?

it might simply be tong marks on the bottom of the thing
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7061 is a reply to message #7060 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Yes, that is a printing error indeed.

I have asked CS to contact you.

My apologies for this.

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7063 is a reply to message #7061 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks, Robert! I appreciate it.

Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7065 is a reply to message #7055 ] Sun, 04 October 2009 03:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
swirlingbrain wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 16:53

I expected the transparent to come out more of a honey color but in your image it looks really transparent like glass. I like that very much. Is it really transparent or just the image again't the table that I can't tell it's really honey color?

That particular model is so transparent because it was built flat, so there's no layer lines accross the X,Y axis. Only on the Z.

The layer lines are the biggest factor contributing to the cloudyness of transparent parts.

Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7070 is a reply to message #7065 ] Sun, 04 October 2009 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
crsdfr wrote on Sun, 04 October 2009 03:17

That particular model is so transparent because it was built flat, so there's no layer lines accross the X,Y axis. Only on the Z.

The layer lines are the biggest factor contributing to the cloudyness of transparent parts.

Yes, that is true. But there is another factor which is residue support material. If you very lightly sand it, it will become much more transparent.

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7071 is a reply to message #7070 ] Sun, 04 October 2009 14:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
By the way, I'm going to be using the WSF model as a master for a RTV mold, so I'll let you know how that comes out.
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7123 is a reply to message #7061 ] Tue, 06 October 2009 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hey, Robert, I haven't heard anything from customer service on this yet... is there something else I need to do?

Thanks!
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7124 is a reply to message #7123 ] Tue, 06 October 2009 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
That is weird. Embarassed I will look into it. Sorry about that.

- Robert
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7160 is a reply to message #7051 ] Thu, 08 October 2009 03:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ElenaD  is currently offline ElenaD
Go to all my models
I work here
Tanix,

I confirm that the lines on the metal cross are a production defect.
I am sorry the quality control did not reject the model before shipping.
We have implemented an improved quality inspection to avoid this from happening in the future. On 6 October a new print has be set in production. You should receive it shortly

regards
Elena
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7175 is a reply to message #7160 ] Thu, 08 October 2009 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks so much... I'm just glad to hear that this isn't normal for the stainless steel prints. I plan to utilize those in the future and it's good to know that they are generally consistent.

Things happen, and I understand that completely. I was never upset about this. I just wanted to know if I were doing something wrong.

Thanks for the support!
Re: Am I expecting too much?? [message #7190 is a reply to message #7051 ] Fri, 09 October 2009 03:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ElenaD  is currently offline ElenaD
Go to all my models
I work here
Smile
Tanix,
I am happy that you recognize production problems can occur, it is just a fact of life.
What is important is that the mistakes are recognized and corrected.
I understand that you need to build up some confidence with our techniques before using our services.
I am sure you will be satisfied when you will receive the reprint.
Hope to see soon more of your models
Cheers
Elena

Previous Topic:Spaceyacht and asymmetrical starfighter
Next Topic:Self referential shapes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.