Home » Community » General Discussion » Ideal material for lego like thickness?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ideal material for lego like thickness? [message #70307] Sat, 22 June 2013 07:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar giorgio79  is currently offline giorgio79
Go to all my models

Ideal material for lego[ 4 vote(s) ]
1.White detail 2 / 50%
2.White strong flexible 2 / 50%
3.Alumide 0 / 0%

Hello,

Which Shapeways material is ideal for printing legos? Lego, having a wall thickness of 1.5 mm, is printed from Ivory ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), but Shapeways does not offer such a material. So, what is closest?

One of my latest orders, a model (non lego) with thickness of 2mm in white strong flexible, is way too flexible. The model is almost as flexible as paper!.Some parts of this model have 3mm thickness, and they are quite strong, but the increased volume of WSF offsets its price advantage over WD or Alumide.

Would alumide or white detail be better under 2mm?

[Updated on: Sat, 22 June 2013 19:50 UTC]

Re: Ideal material for lego like thickness? [message #70337 is a reply to message #70307 ] Sun, 23 June 2013 13:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
I printet my Brick Parts in Strong and Flexible (any Color) and also in Alumide.
Re: Ideal material for lego like thickness? [message #70339 is a reply to message #70337 ] Sun, 23 June 2013 13:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar giorgio79  is currently offline giorgio79
Go to all my models
Cool! I notice you don't have alumide enabled for your figures, only wsf and frosted. You didn't like the Alumide result?
Re: Ideal material for lego like thickness? [message #70341 is a reply to message #70339 ] Sun, 23 June 2013 13:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
Depends on the Model.
Shapways sugest to enable only a few Materials, to keep it Simple. And it make no sence to print a fin in Alumide. If somone Want that it, he can ask me.
But the Knife Blade of the Shark Monument is Alumide the default (http://shpws.me/nvEN). Ok it has no thin Walls like a Lego Brick. Only the knobs on the Top. But for testpurpose I printet a 2x2 Brick in in diferent Materials, also in Alumide (not in the Shop) and it also works fine.

Previous Topic:Unsure of strength
Next Topic:print preview rough?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.