Home » Support » 3D Applications » 1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software [message #69781] Fri, 14 June 2013 00:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar wes_ismore  is currently offline wes_ismore
Go to all my models
Hello! First post.

Using Autodesk Inventor, I created a small 1.5 inch cube, which I exported as a .CTL and uploaded to this site. The cube was a test intended to verify that this service would work, before actually investing time to make a useful model. The cube showed up fine, except the scale was off. 1.5 inches turned into 3.8. Is this a known/common issue? What can I do to fix this?

Thank you for your assistance! I'm looking forward to making awesome things.
wes_ismore
Re: 1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software [message #69784 is a reply to message #69781 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 01:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Upload it as millimeters. See if that fixes it.

1.5 * 25.4 = 38

Your software is exporting the model in metric units, even though it may be reporting inches onscreen.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software [message #70019 is a reply to message #69781 ] Tue, 18 June 2013 08:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey wes_ismore,

can you share that STL file with us?

Thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: 1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software [message #70631 is a reply to message #70019 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 01:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wes_ismore  is currently offline wes_ismore
Go to all my models
This should be it! From autodesk inventor

• Attachment: test.stl
    (Size: 0.67KB, Downloaded 24 time(s))

Re: 1.5 inch cube incorrectly shows up as 3.8 inches in Shapeways software [message #70639 is a reply to message #70631 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 07:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey wes_ismore,

stonysmith is almost right: the file is in centimeters. I'm not familiar enough with Inventor, but a simple fix would be to scale it up x10 in Inventor, export to STL and upload in mm.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Ring design, tricks to attaching mesh objects? (3ds max)
Next Topic:Combine multiple UV'd objects

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.