Home » Support » 3D Printing » 2 colors without sandstone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
2 colors without sandstone [message #69873] Sat, 15 June 2013 07:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ahmet  is currently offline Ahmet
Go to all my models
Hello I saw this the other day:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/195224/typographical-chess-se t.html?li=category-games-headerimg
Now I wondered how is it possible to use a single material to get more than one color. (THE board)
Can someone please explain, because I'm planning on making a checker board.
Re: 2 colors without sandstone [message #69878 is a reply to message #69873 ] Sat, 15 June 2013 10:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
If you do not want to paint (or otherwise post-process) the material, the only obvious choice is to construct it in two (or more) parts that can be snap-fit or glued together.
Re: 2 colors without sandstone [message #69880 is a reply to message #69878 ] Sat, 15 June 2013 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
First off it will be quite expensive for a board of any size.

Second, you could print it in one piece but use different textures for the different coloured squares. The board in the picture looks like it is made of glass that has been etched, for example.
Re: 2 colors without sandstone [message #69953 is a reply to message #69873 ] Mon, 17 June 2013 12:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You could do something in FUD or Transparent detail where you have a hollow area inside, with a small hole leading to the exterior or our software will remove it, but small enough for the support material not to drain. This would give you an effect similar to that of the etched glass board pictured.

Note: Last that I heard, having trapped material is allowed for FUD and Transparent detail.

Another note: this is using minimal material, in transparent detail it would cost almost $200. And would look something like thisindex.php?t=getfile&id=34528&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2013 13:21 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:How to apply color to a model?
Next Topic:Can we somehow get pre-order confirmation of object printability?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.