Home » Support » 3D Applications » iPhone case scale in blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
iPhone case scale in blender [message #69786] Fri, 14 June 2013 03:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar Rayrod72  is currently offline Rayrod72
Go to my shop
I am new to shapeways and somewhat new to blender so I apologize if this is a very basic question.

I downloaded the shapeways basic iPhone case to design my own. The file is found here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/559554/basic-iphone-case-fram e-downloadable.html?li=productBox-search

I imported the .3ds file into blender 2.67 and checked the scale. In blender the length of the case is roughly 4.5 meters when in reality it is 115 mm.

I want to make sure my designs are not too small (less than .02 mm) so I need to be careful with the sizes in my design in blender. i know I can use a ratio to determine the correct sizes but do I need to scale it down to actual size before uploading to print anyways? Is there a quick and effective way of doing this?

Before I found this file I started from scratch and I was using the dimensions Apple posted on their website. I was able to make a correctly scaled model this way.

I had hoped the shapeways case would already be to scale. Is it an effect from importing into blender?

Thank you!
Re: iPhone case scale in blender [message #69791 is a reply to message #69786 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 05:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
[quote

I imported the .3ds file into blender 2.67 and checked the scale. In blender the length of the case is roughly 4.5 meters when in reality it is 115 mm.[/quote]
The file is a .stl ... I would re-import it.
Re: iPhone case scale in blender [message #69831 is a reply to message #69791 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 14:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Rayrod72  is currently offline Rayrod72
Go to my shop
Very odd. When I go back to the page with the file, it is only the bumper. And when I download there is only a certificate for the .stl file. The original file I downloaded indeed has a 3ds file and I was able to open the original .sldprt file by convertingj it to .slt using edrawings and it is only the phone, not the case.

The original 3ds file I opened in blender has the openings for the buttons while the new download that I posted the URL to does not.

Is there a bumper AND a plain case available?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 14:42 UTC]

Previous Topic:Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks)
Next Topic:Getting started with designing for color printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.