Home »  » 3D Applications » Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks) [message #69596] Tue, 11 June 2013 09:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar justice91423  is currently offline justice91423
Go to all my models
This is my first 3d modeling project and I am completely self taught. So please excuse my ignorance as I try to explain the issue I'm having.

I'm using solid works, and my parts have a lot of curved areas. I found that when I received my parts from Shapeways, the polygons were visible in the part. The attached photo shows the problem.

Do I need to use more polygons somehow? If so, where in Solidworks would I control that?

I'm really as a loss so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS. I outputted the parts as .STL files, if that maters

• Attachment: cones.jpg
    (Size: 99.18KB, Downloaded 52 time(s))

Re: Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks) [message #69605 is a reply to message #69596 ] Tue, 11 June 2013 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Which version of SolidWorks ? Check if you have an "Options" button on the STL export dialog where you can
influence the "subdivision" or "tesselation" of objects.
Re: Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks) [message #69623 is a reply to message #69605 ] Tue, 11 June 2013 17:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi mkroeker

Thanks so much for your help. I'm currently using Solidwoks 2013 SP0, but I was using 2010 when I originally made the part.

I was not able to find the exact options you mentioned, but I did find the STL resolution sliders. Solidworks lists them as Deviation and Angle. I turned them both up to the max and saved the file that way.

It was a big improvement, but I can still see lines (image attached).

Is it possible there is a better file type for this?

Thanks again for your help, and input is appreciated.

• Attachment: cones new.jpg
    (Size: 54.66KB, Downloaded 36 time(s))

Re: Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks) [message #69800 is a reply to message #69623 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 08:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arnaud3D  is currently offline Arnaud3D
Go to all my models
Hi,

Just in case : http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1550-how-to-prep-and- upload-a-3d-model-with-solidworks-for-3d-printing-with-shape ways.html

I know in CATIA we have the same problem and it is necessary to really change the resolution of your part in the software but even with that you still don't have perfectly smooth surfaces.

Arnaud
Re: Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks) [message #69811 is a reply to message #69800 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 09:10 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
After monkeying around a bit I discovered something...

What I had been doing to create the cone was I would draw a right triangle and then use Revolved Boss/Base to make the cone shape. This lead to an STL that appeared to have polygone lines on it (see example above).

However if I created the cone by drawing a circle and using Extrude Bose/Base with a Draft (bringing it to a point) the STL appears smooth.

Upon further investigation I discovered that the STL created with the Extrude tool had exactly twice as many triangles (2876 vs 1438).

Obviously I have NO idea why this is, but there ya go.

Previous Topic:Looking for programmer to create an API and/or web based application
Next Topic:iPhone case scale in blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.