Home » Community » Work in progress » My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong? [message #69581] Tue, 11 June 2013 02:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar AquaNovae  is currently offline AquaNovae
Go to my shop
Hi!

I am making a filter instert that slides into the back of an aquarium filter. It is not much larger than the palm of your hand really...
Height: 6.5 inches or 16.5 cm
Width: 5.85 inches or 14.7cm
Depth: 0.5 inches or 1.5cm

And I have made it as hollow as I feel it can be to be structurally sound. Yet no matter what I do, the price point comes out at insane numbers. This should probably cost 12 dollars, not 120 dollars.

I have attached my model as a .dae file and .skp file. I am totally at a loss as to what mistake I made that seems to have the volume so high, and thus, the price.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first ever attempt at 3d modeling, so I'm sorry if it was a stupid or obvious mistake.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 June 2013 02:12 UTC]

Re: My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong? [message #69582 is a reply to message #69581 ] Tue, 11 June 2013 03:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Your model is using 150cm3 of material.. that's going to be expensive.
http://stonysmith.com/wired/VolumeEstimator.asp?L=165&W= 147&H=15&T=3

Shapeways prices are not based upon the discounts you see for mass-production items, but rather upon the amount of material used and the amount of time (electricity) required to fuse what is essentially a powder into a solid object by using a (thin) laser beam. Larger items require significantly longer print times (more electricity).

One note: you attempted to make your square side beams hollow, but if there is no escape hole for the material, it will be treated as a solid. You might be able to shave a bit of price off by adding escape holes, but it won't be significant.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong? [message #69651 is a reply to message #69582 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 00:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah thanks for the perspective!. I will work on it, and maybe what I make out of this can simply be a prototype.
Re: My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong? [message #69680 is a reply to message #69581 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Twice in one day I get to promote my instructable! Then you can fill it up with resin and make a mold of it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong? [message #69785 is a reply to message #69680 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 01:54 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks for that tutorial. I will try that now.

Smile

Previous Topic:Intersecting Geometry?
Next Topic:testing models for SW acceptation