Home » Support » 3D Printing » Preview image not "smooth"
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Preview image not "smooth" [message #69647] Tue, 11 June 2013 23:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Squall67584  is currently offline Squall67584
Go to all my models
I made a model that has a hemispherical dome, and while the drawing in autoCAD shows a smooth dome, the preview image shows a multifaceted one. If I print it, will it be smooth or not? I made a similar part before, and the preview image doesn't look as faceted and the print came out smooth.
Re: Preview image not "smooth" [message #69649 is a reply to message #69647 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 00:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This writeup might help: http://stonysmith.com/wired/scaling.asp
ALL objects will have facets.. the trick is to make them small enough so as to make the object appear smooth as it prints.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Preview image not "smooth" [message #69654 is a reply to message #69649 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 02:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hmm... Now I need to figure out how to control the number of facets. While both parts are sized similarly, the one with more facets was drawn in an older version of AutoCAD...
Re: Preview image not "smooth" [message #69674 is a reply to message #69654 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 12:16 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Figured it out; had to use the FACETRES command and change the value to 10. Now the preview image in My Models looks much better. Thanks for that write up, it helped me understand what was happening and pointed me in the right direction! Razz

Previous Topic:The most popular product categories
Next Topic:.7 mm limit

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.