Home » Community » Work in progress » iPad Carry
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
iPad Carry [message #68329] Sun, 19 May 2013 20:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Ok, so this is my first attempt at something like this, so go easy!

Surprisingly (or not!) there isn't much like this on the market other than an expensive aluminium one, and a cheap 'kiddie' one made from EVA foam.

The design was driven not by the need for a handle per se, but for a way to steady video shoots made with the iPad. Bear with me on this.

You see, an iPad held from the end of your arm makes for a crude Stedicam - and because of the positioning of the handle on my iPad Carry, the lens is towards the lower edge, meaning you can 'sweep' the iPad over stuff or get dramatic low level shots. That's the idea anyway. Also, it's a handle! Smile

This test print was a bit on the tight side, which called for some (ok, lots) of sanding and some minor modifications with a Dremel to get the fit in the photo and even then it's tight. The clip is sturdy if not that pretty, but often the simplest approach is the best. And the hole for the headphones is way out; don't know what was going on there... my measurement point of reference must have been out.

index.php?t=getfile&id=32688&private=0

• Attachment: P1050025.JPG
    (Size: 81.25KB, Downloaded 130 time(s))

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: iPad Carry [message #69498 is a reply to message #68329 ] Sun, 09 June 2013 01:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SRZDesign  is currently offline SRZDesign
Go to my shop
I don't own any tablets so I can't relate to your problem, but I like what you did here. It's hard to make measurements perfect I've found and took me several rounds of printing to get some of my products/designs ready and I'm still waiting on one I think has most potential. I don't want someone to order it and not work right and get bad reviews! Good luck buddy.

Re: iPad Carry [message #69636 is a reply to message #69498 ] Tue, 11 June 2013 19:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Thanks! I can see myself using your honeycomb battery storage units - I have a LOT of AA rechargeables around... need someplace to keep them corralled.

With the ipad carry I find I'm actually using the prototype at weekends where I tote the tablet around like a portable radio. It's a good test to see how durable/secure the clip is. The last thing I want, for potential customers, is the clip to fail and the iPad to get damaged as a result and so far it's been fine.

The beauty of 3D printing is that I can offer the clip separately and cheaply if the customer feels theirs is becoming loose.

As for refining the prototype - this model is done in Sketchup... not too difficult to extend the dimensions a little, but then I realised I needed more polys on the handle to make it smoother so that had to be done from scratch again, then I added an embossed logotype for a sense of 'brand'... I know, I'm kidding myself! Wink

Oh and the mis-placed headphone hole turned out to be a typo - I work at 100x scale in Sketchup and I just missed this one when doing a last check of dimensions.

Now all I need to do is wait for payday before ordering an reprint!

index.php?t=getfile&id=34225&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_0136.PNG
    (Size: 592.00KB, Downloaded 61 time(s))

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk

Previous Topic:Skull pendant 02
Next Topic:Full size hand bookend

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.