Home » Support » 3D Design » shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #6924] Wed, 30 September 2009 14:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar cloaca  is currently offline cloaca
Go to all my models
So, i'm an experienced modeler, I've had hunderds of parts printed by different companies and I thought I'd give Shapeways a try.

Right so I use materialise magics to fix my stl's, v13 64 bit.

it's a deformed 3d scan, 200 000 triangles, remeshed, fixed, sealed, unified, perfect.

In magics, you can do, "part fixing information" which shows all the errors, and there are none. no bad edges, no holes, no overlaps, no intersections. and when I upload the file, which I've done 13 times now. and i look at the preview, all I see is this minuscule red line/dot. and no trace of the model.

and an email telling me it's non manifold.

it is manifold. really.

Can't show an image of the piece unfortunately, it's protected.

w

Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #6926 is a reply to message #6924 ] Wed, 30 September 2009 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Have you tried opening it in meshlab?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #6947 is a reply to message #6924 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I did that and it did find one more non manifold vertex in meshlab. but it still took 5 or 6 back and forths between meshlab and magics, esp the magics hollow shell gave trouble.. and i think i've simplified or auto fixed too much because some features are lost now.. but at least he swallows the model.

so thanks, i have a way of fixing things now.
Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #6975 is a reply to message #6947 ] Thu, 01 October 2009 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
too bad the actual full version of magics costs around 8000 dollars..
Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #6983 is a reply to message #6975 ] Fri, 02 October 2009 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
I do love shrinkwrap though. One of that programs best features.

Its autofix is also basically second to none.
Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #7110 is a reply to message #6924 ] Tue, 06 October 2009 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeterHermans  is currently offline PeterHermans
Go to my shop
Just thought I'd reply here because I had the same issue (sorry I'm too lazy too look up the topic) and the problem is with overlapping triangles. Magics has threshold settings for detecting overlapping triangles or not.

example:
__ __
__ ----
clean! error!

So even though there is clearance between the triangles this can be detected as overlapping or not depending on the settings.

I found out that this caused the trouble with my model. Lowering the threshold magics detected more and more overlapping triangles that I then manually fixed. Until the shapeways-check finally accepted it.

The trouble really is that non-manifold doesn't give you enough information about what and where the error is. And the fact that Shapeways has not yet given me, at least, the right threshold settings for overlapping triangles.
Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #7138 is a reply to message #7110 ] Wed, 07 October 2009 07:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AO  is currently offline AO
Go to my shop
Hi there,

At the beginning I also had some problems in printing.
I worked in Solidworks. You can tune your stl files.
After alot of hours I found out that the standard settings are the best.
I spent alot of time cleaning them in Magics, slowly destroying the shape. If you try to make as many as possible triangles you will end up having alot of duplicate triangles in cornners and steep edges. I wasn't able to fix the files anymore.
So try to save them in a lower resolution, that might work.

I don't have magics anymore but there's a menu called automatic fixing I think, he will tell you step by step what to do.
You can also cut the affected part and remodel that part again.

In magics is also a functio that makes shells or combines shells, thats also a helpfull tool. sorry if I'm vague but I don't have magics any more.

Greetings AO

Re: shape is PERFECT in magics> non-manifold for shapeways. [message #7492 is a reply to message #7138 ] Tue, 27 October 2009 13:16 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I found that what magics sees as overlapping, isn't necerarily a problem for shapeways, a shape with overlapping triangles can be manifold and printeable.

Previous Topic:Non-Manifold problem
Next Topic:Problems with closing holes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.