Home » Community » Work in progress » New, need help sizing an obj for printing...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon9.gif  New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69023] Sat, 01 June 2013 06:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar GANKUTSU_O_TAKU  is currently offline GANKUTSU_O_TAKU
Go to my shop
I'm new and I have no idea how to size my obj for real life printing. It's a knife that should be 8 inches long but I don't know how to make it so. I don't know how to utilize the menu in my attached pic to make my knife 8 inches tall... It's standing vertical in the program if it helps...
index.php?t=getfile&id=33536&private=0

Good luck in the kitchen...
Re: New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69024 is a reply to message #69023 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 07:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Pseurai  is currently offline Pseurai
Go to all my models
Vertical is usually the Y axis but sometimes Z in the application, what program is this?

It looks like it's using the units in the viewport of the application and doesn't have direct sized properties in the menu you're showing, only the ability to multiply the size. Check the properties to see if it'll let you set the grid to a specific measurement type, I usually set mine to millimeters, but if it'll let you, set it to inches.

It may also help to know that a lot of the OBJ exporters don't factor in real measurements and instead use a basic 'unit' system, which you'll usually have to set the measurement type and size when you import for print.

If you absolutely need help, you can send me the file and I'll export it as an STL or an OBJ with correct measurements.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 June 2013 07:18 UTC]

Re: New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69025 is a reply to message #69024 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 07:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the quick response. I'm using Metasequoia it's a Noob-Friendly Japanese software... I usually build for Pepakura so I've never had to resize an object on Meta since you can just set the height after importing to Pepakura Designer... I'll fiddle with my Preferences and see if I can do what you suggested...

Re: New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69026 is a reply to message #69023 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 08:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
GANKUTSU_O_TAKU wrote on Sat, 01 June 2013 06:30

I I don't know how to utilize the menu in my attached pic to make my knife 8 inches tall...

Shapeways will not print a knife, according to their content policy:

Some examples of content that is prohibited and will be removed (private or public):
Content that resembles weapons or weapon accessories (exceptions are made for miniatures, maximum size 10cm).
Re: New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69031 is a reply to message #69026 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 09:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks AmLachDesigns, I should've read that before trying to upload it...

Re: New, need help sizing an obj for printing... [message #69036 is a reply to message #69031 ] Sat, 01 June 2013 11:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Not really, easy to miss...

Previous Topic:Help :( PLEASE - Wall Thickness
Next Topic:Espresso cup questions