Home »  » 3D Printing » Strength of Alumide Dice
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Strength of Alumide Dice [message #68760] Mon, 27 May 2013 19:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar sand500  is currently offline sand500
Go to all my models
I was thinking of buying this die as a gift for a friend:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/180221/pi-d6.html?li=productB ox-search

and was wondering on if Alumide or Strong and Flexible polished would be a good material for this. I am concerned it would break when the die was actually rolled. I was also thinking of stainless steel but it seems a little bit pricey. Has anyone bought a die on Shapeways? what material did it use and could it withstand being rolled?

Thanks in advance and first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Re: Strength of Alumide Dice [message #68762 is a reply to message #68760 ] Mon, 27 May 2013 21:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
No, that is not going to break. I have a bridge I made out of alumide, its beams are 2mm thick, and it can support more than ten pounds of pull against it. You are unlikely to reach that much force unless you're tossing it off a five story building. <grin>

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Converting .x3db files
Next Topic:Accutrans3d - Some edges are shared with multiple polygons?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.