Home » Support » 3D Applications » WRL File not working
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WRL File not working [message #68676] Sat, 25 May 2013 17:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar hishamha  is currently offline hishamha
Go to my shop
Hi,

I tried uploading a colored VRML file that I created in Solidworks. It seemed to upload fine, but I soon received an email saying that the file failed to upload. I contacted support asking for help, and they said my texture was missing, and that I should come to the forums for help. Here I am.

I've attached the file that wouldn't upload. I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks,
Hishamha

Re: WRL File not working [message #68678 is a reply to message #68676 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Missing texture file may be the most common error, but in this case you are using vertex colors, no separate texture file needed,
so the default suggestion given by service does not apply.
The real problem is that your wrl file is written in the "ancient" VRML1 format instead of the VRML2 (aka VRML97) required by
shapeways - the first line of the file already gives it away "#VRML V1.0 ascii" instead of "#VRML V2.0 utf8".
Re: WRL File not working [message #68679 is a reply to message #68678 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
See here (help.solidworks.com) for available vrml export options - you will definitely need to set version to 2 , probably play with the quality to get less visible facetting of polygons, possibly change the coordinate system if the default view in shapeways is sideways or upside-down (though that does not matter for printing)
Re: WRL File not working [message #68682 is a reply to message #68678 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you know of any way I can convert from VRML 1.0 to VRML 2.0?
Re: WRL File not working [message #68686 is a reply to message #68682 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 18:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
The transition from vrml1 to vrml2 happened in the late 1990s, so most software will probably have dropped off the web by now.
This page contains a link to what is probably a copy of the vrm1tovrml2.exe that used to come with the long-gone cosmoplayer viewer. (No idea if it is legit wrt. copyright and possible viruses, but at least it is hosted on the group webpage of a Florida State University professor) .
If it is just this single file, you could also try to do the conversion by hand in a text editor - for the most part, VRML2 is just a much
more verbose presentation of the same information. If you still have access to SolidWorks and the original SWX file, re-exporting
as VRML2 is obviously the best choice.
Re: WRL File not working [message #68699 is a reply to message #68686 ] Sun, 26 May 2013 01:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
When I try to save it as VRML2 I get the error message:

"The current document is empty. No VRML file will be generated."

Any ideas?
Re: WRL File not working [message #68701 is a reply to message #68699 ] Sun, 26 May 2013 03:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Try this copy.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: WRL File not working [message #68708 is a reply to message #68701 ] Sun, 26 May 2013 04:17 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
It worked! Thank you so much.

Would you mind telling me what you did in case I need to do it in the future?

Previous Topic:What pitch is possible for mechanical gears?
Next Topic:Looking for programmer to create an API and/or web based application

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.