Home » Support » 3D Printing » LED light pipes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
LED light pipes [message #68614] Fri, 24 May 2013 11:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar LittleBit  is currently offline LittleBit
Go to all my models

In electronic devices, LED light pipes are beeing used to transfer the light from a LED to the frontpanel.
The LED light pipe must be transparant internally -like a fiber- to transfer the light.
Is it possible to create such a LED light pipe with 3D printing ?

Re: LED light pipes [message #68623 is a reply to message #68614 ] Fri, 24 May 2013 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The material FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) is transparent enough to work as a light pipe.
But.. it's NOT flexible. You would have to design the shapes to fit each application.

Furthermore, Shapeways does not currently have the option to mix materials. If you wanted the pipes IN a printed panel, you'd have to use some other construction method.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: LED light pipes [message #68624 is a reply to message #68614 ] Fri, 24 May 2013 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I think LittleBit is referring to more of a fiber optic like property. Something like this.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: LED light pipes [message #68630 is a reply to message #68623 ] Fri, 24 May 2013 17:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LittleBit  is currently offline LittleBit
Go to all my models
@Stonysmith
Tnx
Its OK if its not flexible.
Any suggestion to stimulate the light reflection in the curves ?
( perhaps I should test the result with a FUD-based light pipe, painted white on the outside )

BTW, a LED light pipe/ light guide example can be seen here
Re: LED light pipes [message #68636 is a reply to message #68614 ] Fri, 24 May 2013 18:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Yes, that is exactly what Disney is showing in the link I provided, 3D printed. I think it's been done with FUD on the Raspberry Pi cases?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Plans for aluminium
Next Topic:Converting .x3db files

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.