Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Reinforcing Thin walls white plastic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Reinforcing Thin walls white plastic [message #68558] Thu, 23 May 2013 16:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar Danielruiz77  is currently offline Danielruiz77
Go to my shop
Hey im looking to reinforce a Helm I had designed. its going to only be 1mm thick made from the flexable white plastic. i was thinking to reinforce it with maybe fiberglass, but I hear that the Resin gets hot when mixed, and im afraid that the heat would warp and damage the plastic.
would it? and if so what would be a better reinforcing idea?

Re: Reinforcing Thin walls white plastic [message #68574 is a reply to message #68558 ] Thu, 23 May 2013 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
Fibreglass resin will indeed get quite hot, but only in bulk (a pot full) and probably not enough to melt WSF nylon. If you intend to just brush it over the surface you should be fine. Resin itself will not give much reinforcement. Fibreglass parts gain their strength from the glass and hold their shape due to the resin gluing fibre to fibre. Vacuum bagging the part so as to infuse it with resin would be the most preferred solution, I suspect.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Reinforcing Thin walls white plastic [message #68577 is a reply to message #68574 ] Thu, 23 May 2013 23:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Danielruiz77  is currently offline Danielruiz77
Go to my shop
yes i was going to use the fiberglass with it, thank you for the information

Previous Topic:molding
Next Topic:Regular Sandstone?