Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » New Category Pages
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Category Pages [message #68513] Wed, 22 May 2013 21:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

We've been working to get more shoppers on the site, and as we get more visitors, we can get more sales for our shop owners! An important step for this is making it easier to find awesome products. Our new Category Pages are the first step towards doing just that..

Check out the blog post here http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/2078-Introducing-New- Category-Pages.html

This is not only a nicer design, but a great way to highlight the amazing products you are all making, and expose them to more and more people.

We've heard that the same products get highlighted over and over, and this will also help change that. By taking great photos of your products, and letting us know, they are more likely to get featured on category page.

If you have seen or created a product that is awesome let us know by tagging @Natalia or @Duann using the @mentions in the comments on the product page.

Kate (kzasada) is focusing on making the site better for shop owners so if you have any specific ideas or feedback about the new category pages, she'd love to hear from you at Kate @ shapeways.com

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: New Category Pages [message #68610 is a reply to message #68513 ] Fri, 24 May 2013 10:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Shapeways picks for "Miniatures/SciFi" are also used in "Miniatures/Model trains", where they look
just a bit out of place...
And all of the problems of the Category system remain unadressed -
miscategorized items (expectably a fifth of the items shown in Fashion/Glasses, various military miniatures
in Maker/DIY, etc),
too few (sub-)categories (Fashion has subcategories with about 20-30 items in each, Miniatures/Figurines
has over 2000, Miniatures/Trains even 3000 items - nobody is going to browse them all looking for a specific
topic or scale.
And i still think it was a seriously bad idea to hide the "feed" from all who do not already know that it exists.
Re: New Category Pages [message #69016 is a reply to message #68610 ] Fri, 31 May 2013 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
mkroeker wrote on Fri, 24 May 2013 10:18

And i still think it was a seriously bad idea to hide the "feed" from all who do not already know that it exists.

Agreed. And for those that don't know, it's www.shapeways.com/feed

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: New Category Pages [message #70136 is a reply to message #68513 ] Wed, 19 June 2013 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kzasada  is currently offline kzasada
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey guys-- in case you didn't see it, a link to the feed is back in the new navigation on the Shop tab, in the menu between the Shops and Blog links. We aren't abandoning it, but we are focused right now on improving the core experience across the site before we put our resources into features like the Feed. We know you love it, and we want to help other people love it as much as you do too!
Re: New Category Pages [message #70154 is a reply to message #68513 ] Thu, 20 June 2013 12:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great.... Except not quite correct. It's on the drop-down on the Shops link, not actually between the Shops and Blog links. I'm glad it hasn't been abandoned. I like to see the non-biased flow of models as opposed to the ones that are perpetually at the top because the maker has got all his friends and neighbours to artificially favourite them.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:New Site Navigation
Next Topic:New Model Processing Notes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.