Home » Support » 3D Printing » Full color sandstone: defining the color white
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Full color sandstone: defining the color white [message #68120] Thu, 16 May 2013 07:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar MrNibbles  is currently offline MrNibbles
Go to my shop
I've only used Tinkercad and have noticed that a defined white area is not a pure white but slightly more of a dirty white, at least as compared to the interior material of the object below the surface pigment-containing layer. I only noticed the excellent interior white color because I did some machining of a printed object that removed the surface pigment layer.

So my questions relate how to get the whitest white surface color in the long run as I transition to new software. Would it be possible to define a "no color" to obtain a superior quality white at the surface? Is the Tinkercad color palette simply not well matched to the color sandstone print process? Or is it difficult to get pure white at the surface because of printer pixel cross-contamination?

On a related note, would any of the color 3D file formats allow for altering colors in a text editor as opposed to reprocessing the object in a 3D CAD editor? For example, let's assume I have something like a .X3D color file downloaded from Tinkercad and the object is colored with only the colors red and blue. If I wanted to change all the reds to green would it be possible to do this in a text editor by doing a search and replace function to swap the red color codes with green color codes?

Re: Full color sandstone: defining the color white [message #68132 is a reply to message #68120 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 09:38 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Both X3D and the older VRML file format contain "Material nodes" that (can) contain the color information
encoded as a triplet of red, green and blue color values, each ranging between 0 and 1. So your white
should be something like "Material {diffuseColor 1 1 1}" if Tinkercad writes a "pure" white, while a "dirty
white" would probably be more like 0.98 0.98 0.98 (very light gray) or 1 1 0.98 (yellowish)

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel Print Strength
Next Topic:A new use for dummy cubes!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.