Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application? [message #67846] Sun, 12 May 2013 12:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar teenflon5  is currently offline teenflon5
Go to all my models
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and am looking into creating a holder for my iPhone.

Basically, I've got an iPhone car mount which clips onto my iphone, however I've just got a new case. I can remove the 'tray' part of the car mount which is interchangable depending on what phone you have. I intend to create a new one and have shapeways print it, that fits around my phone + case. I've never had anything printed by shapeways before, and the material descriptions arent very specific. I've been looking at strong and flexible plastic, but I don't want it to be too flexible.

The current tray I have is made from hard moulded plastic which isn't flexible. The description for the strong and flexile plastic says that it's flexible enough for a hinge when it's thin, but strong when thicker. I need the mount to be strong enough that the clip portion at the top will hold the phone in place without just coming off, and strong enough so that the thin (2.5mm) plastic bits slide onto the groove in the windows sucker arm. (Sorry, I'm not doing a very good job at describing this).

Would strong and flexible plastic be good enough for this application? The only thing keeping me from using metal is that there's a little spring in the centre which forces the phone into the clip so it doesn't fall out which wouldn't work.

Are there any other websites which use differnet 3d printing materials which would be better suited?

Thanks!!

Chris

Picture of the original phone tray attached.

index.php?t=getfile&id=32328&private=0

Re: Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application? [message #68053 is a reply to message #67846 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 13:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah I think our White Strong & Flexible (or dyed variations) would be a great material for this. I recommend you print some test parts to find the right thickness and stiffness first though. At 2.5mm it's already fairly stiff, although larger pieces will still bend.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application? [message #68075 is a reply to message #67846 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 15:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
yeah I agree with Bart on this. I'd even go so far as to say that if you made an exact duplicate of what's showing in the photo it would work perfectly in polyamide. The original and the polyamide version would be nearly identical in function. All of the other service bureaus that do 3D printing don't really have anything better suited in plastic. There is one that does come to mind but the price is so outrageous it's not even worth it given that polyamide can easily handle this application.

Take a look at these two videos to get an idea of how polyamide behaves. Wall thickness and strength and structure.

Maker of precision scrap! :p

Previous Topic:Weekend contest #11 Custom Character
Next Topic:snap fit

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.