Home » Community » General Discussion » Weekend contest #11 Custom Character
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67779] Fri, 10 May 2013 15:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Weekend contest is back! Sorry about missing it last week.

So this weekends contest is, a Custom Character.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_829119_884801_1363718649.jpg
Image of Percy the pudgy unicorn by wondercat

We've seen some great Character designs. Both existing and originals. This contest is all original. So not even the cute little chubby unicorn. I know some of you are not used to organic modeling, so you can take this as an exercise to learn something new. Or you can make a mech or other non-organic character if you want to stay with what you know. So make up a super hero, an alien creation, a whimsical rabbit. What ever you want to see created. Color is not required, but could help sell your idea.

How to enter

Design, share here, and explain. They will be judged on creativity, and awesomeness of the idea.

What's the prize?

$25 to use towards your creation, or any other Shapeways purchase.

That's all?

Have fun!

Mike

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:35 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67808 is a reply to message #67779 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 01:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Okay, guess I'll be first up...

Hundreds of millions of years ago life evolved on Earth. This is your ancestor!

index.php?t=getfile&id=32329&private=0

Modeled, textured and rendered in ZBrush.

Source of background image: http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/NatSci102/NatSci102/lectures/ lifeform.htm

[Updated on: Sun, 12 May 2013 14:23 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67849 is a reply to message #67779 ] Sun, 12 May 2013 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kabedesign  is currently offline Kabedesign
Go to my shop
Hy Guys, here is my entry for the custom character weekend contest.
It´s not actually ONE character, it´s a chess set I have been working on for the last few weeks.
I call it "Toilet Chess" and although that´s pretty self explanatory, here is a brief description:
It´s a chess set, consisting of 8 different pawns, 2 identical rooks, bishops and knights and of course a king and a queen.
And , obviously all of the chess-figurines are pictured sitting on the toilet.
Modeling :
I did the modeling of the characters completely in Sculptris, which I found an awesome sculpting software and a great fun to work with.
The toilet Seats and the sockets were done in 3D Studio Max where I also did some final adjustments, Boolean Operations and the scaling of the objects.
The Rendering of the picture was also done in 3DS Max.
3D Printing:
I already got the first pieces in Strong & Flexible Material ( Black & White),sandstone and stainless steel delivered to my home and currently doing some more adjustments, based on these Prints.
Once I´m satisfied with the results I´m gonna make the models public and make them available in my shapeways-shop.
I´m also still playing with the size of the pieces to figure out a good compromise between Size and Price. Right now I´m thinking a size of about 3cm for the pawns ( app. 4,5 cm Kings Height) will be it. Although at that size some details get lost and the 4 cm Pawn, I also have printed, looks way better than the smaller ones. ( But is double the price!).
Eventually I plan to do a few different sizes of the whole set.
A Final Note:
These work by no means is meant to be rude, obscene or in any way offensive to anybody.
IT´S MEANT TO BE FUNNY !!!

index.php?t=getfile&id=32330&private=0

Kabedesign Kai Bracher www.kaibracher.de
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67858 is a reply to message #67779 ] Sun, 12 May 2013 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar willtheloon  is currently offline willtheloon
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=32334&private=0
Here's my entry for the weekend character contest. His name is Kai.
He's a surfer and a worm, the difference is that he surfs leaves in the shape of waves instead of actual waves. He's very chilled.

He's modeled, textured and rendered in Zbrush.

Will

Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67865 is a reply to message #67779 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 00:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wondercat  is currently offline wondercat
Go to my shop
Demon Hamster:
this is the pet Satan would give his son

index.php?t=getfile&id=32341&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2013 00:50 UTC]

Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67875 is a reply to message #67779 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 06:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNibbles  is currently offline MrNibbles
Go to my shop
This is based on a sketch I made in high school biology many years ago to make my lab partner laugh when we learned that worms are hermaphrodites. Fortunately the teacher did not see my drawing at the time. I present to you HermAphrodite!

http://shpws.me/nOVM
<a href="http://shpws.me/nOVM" target="_blank"></a>

index.php?t=getfile&id=32350&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:53 UTC]

Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67877 is a reply to message #67779 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 07:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MermaidsandMayhem  is currently offline MermaidsandMayhem
Go to all my models
Hello,

Here's a smiley giant happy to be making friends with butterflies.
I used zbrush for the modelling and painting.

Cheers!
index.php?t=getfile&id=32352&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2013 07:44 UTC]

Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67903 is a reply to message #67877 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
AWWWWW HAHAHA!!! My vote goes to this DEMON HAMSTER! Laughing

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=32341&private=0

So creative and SO FUNNYYYYYY!!! I love your little creatures! Surprised

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67905 is a reply to message #67903 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I love yours too Glenn! Laughing

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=32329&private=0

Great work! Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67907 is a reply to message #67779 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 17:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Haha, thanks. I was really hoping for more entires, because I know there are some great artists here.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #67947 is a reply to message #67907 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lensman wrote on Mon, 13 May 2013 17:37

Haha, thanks. I was really hoping for more entires, because I know there are some great artists here.

I agree, So I'm extending for one more day!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Weekend contest #11 Custom Character [message #68050 is a reply to message #67779 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 13:11 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Alright time to call it.

Yet again you guys made it suuuuuper difficult. Guess I'll have to roll my 3D printed D6.

Kabedesign - Toilet Chess - Very nice idea. I love Sculptris myself. Very good work.
lensman - evolution - I had no idea you had organic modeling in you? Nice concept and the model looks great.
wondercat - Demon Hamster - You didn't disappoint in a contest that was partially inspired by your work.
Mrnibbles - Worm - Well the concept is definitely an interesting one. What did you model it in?
mermaidsandmayhem - gentle giant - Wow! Wonderful color mapping, and presentation.

I wish I could see them all printed. But I had to pick one. Seeing it's getting close to summer, I wouldn't mind surfing on some leaves with willtheloon's Surfer worm. Cute model, good color (ohhhhh shiny), and a nice little back story.

Thank you all for contending!

Previous Topic:Wall thickness issue
Next Topic:Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.