Home » Community » General Discussion » High Definition Stainless Steel
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67870] Mon, 13 May 2013 03:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
High Definition Stainless Steel or High Definition Bronze similar in detail to the silver prints? Anyone know if this might be a possibility? Maybe offered with medium size models in mind?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67909 is a reply to message #67870 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Stainless with resolution similar to silver exists, but it only works at sizes similar to silver.
Bronze AFAIK doesn't exist.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67912 is a reply to message #67870 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I haven't heard of a HD Bronze but Bronze itself is available at a competitor to Shapeways...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67914 is a reply to message #67912 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
(it's not quite as much fun as one might hope, though -- not as dimensionally stable as the stainless/bronze.)

-Bathsheba
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67915 is a reply to message #67909 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 19:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Bathsheba wrote on Mon, 13 May 2013 18:00

Stainless with resolution similar to silver exists, but it only works at sizes similar to silver.

And at much the same prices...
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #67924 is a reply to message #67909 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 00:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, Ive seen HD stainless steel but the price is so high its practically the same as silver and the max size is 40x40x35mm Pendants and buckles are out of the question at this size.. I have an order that needs to be made in large amounts in stainless. I prefer sticking with shapeways because I feel comfortable with the quality I get, I dont wanna roll the dice elsewhere. Maybe non-rust High Definition stainless at a good price isnt out there yet.

HD Bronze, I only mentioned it because it was suggested I get it made in Bronze but I think they were talking about using a detailed silver print and making a mold from it. I havent gone that rout yet. Id hate to pass us this opportunity because its a potentially large order with several designs needed.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2013 00:12 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: High Definition Stainless Steel [message #68030 is a reply to message #67924 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 05:48 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
The silver material is itself made by casting, so starting with that as a mold master wouldn't be an option. Casting in bronze or brass is exactly as possible, it's just that after you've done this multistage process of printing/casting/finishing, so much of the cost is labor that you might as well use the better metal. You'll pay about the same anyway.

-Bathsheba

Previous Topic:What is the World's Finest 3D Printer - Cost No Object?
Next Topic:official shapeways logo use and source file?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.