Home » Support » 3D Printing » SS won't appear as a printable media
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67940] Tue, 14 May 2013 13:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar nickheymer  is currently offline nickheymer
Go to all my models
I need to print this item in Stainless but it won't come up as an option.

If printed with the stud side up I believe it would pass the sand castle rule so I don't think that's the problem.

I also couldn't get the option in the part parameters to come up in a design with a no lettering, so I don't think that's an issue either.

Any ideas on how to print ins Stainless would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67941 is a reply to message #67940 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What are the dimensions of the model as shown on your Shapeways model page?

Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67943 is a reply to message #67941 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
674px wide by 501px tall

Original Bounds
In: 0.4 w x 0.1 d x 0.0 h
Cm: 1.0 w x 0.3 d x 0.1 h
Oriented Bounds (used for determining printability)
In: 0.4 w x 0.1 d x 0.0 h
Cm: 1.0 w x 0.3 d x 0.1 h
Vol: 0.01 cm³

I see where you're headed with this.
My Autodesk model says the volume is 8.1 cm³ and approximate dimentions are 85mm by 25mm
so something is not converting corectly
Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67944 is a reply to message #67943 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 13:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You got it - when I looked at your file it implied the object had those dimensions. Not really sure about the 85mm and 25mm and how that relates.

I can't really help with Autocad, but in general there are several options:
1. Change your settings in Autocad so that the stl export matches the internal dimensions (no idea...);
2. Just scale your model by 10 (or 8.5 or whatever factor you desire) and re-export;
3. Open the .stl file in Netfabb Basic (free!) and scale it in there. This package is very useful in 3d modelling and allows you to make all sorts of checks on your model.

Good luck!
Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67945 is a reply to message #67944 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
And, I'm sure you know but in case you don't, the design guidelines for stainless are here: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel-design-guidelines
Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67979 is a reply to message #67945 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Eureka!

The export was set to cm even though I was using a mm template, as soon as you said factor of ten I new it had to be a unit conversion issue.

Got the component ordered!

Thanks
Re: SS won't appear as a printable media [message #67980 is a reply to message #67979 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 17:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well done!

Glad to help

Previous Topic:Question on model topology
Next Topic:Laser scanning

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.