Home » Community » General Discussion » Buying my own printer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Buying my own printer [message #67313] Thu, 02 May 2013 06:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar LesleyRobinson  is currently offline LesleyRobinson
Go to all my models
I have about $3000. (CDN) that I can use to buy a 3d printer. I'm considering the Replicator 2 or the Cube. But I worry that these printers won't be suitable for printing the type of thing I am interested in, which is mathematical surfaces and curves in space. I have successfully created files and had them printed by Shapeways. No doubt Shapeways uses much more costly printers. I worry that the Replicator or the Cube won't be able to print my files because of "overhang" or something, but I can't find any definite info about this. I have attached a picture of some of my models (which are painted).

• Attachment: 3dprint 2.jpg
    (Size: 76.64KB, Downloaded 87 time(s))

Re: Buying my own printer [message #67315 is a reply to message #67313 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 07:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I should mention that I can modify my models so that they stand on a base (rather than just having the z axis pointing down at the bottom of them).
Re: Buying my own printer [message #67341 is a reply to message #67315 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
your models might be printable on a RepRap derivative home printer. Your models look like they will really push the limits of current desktop 3D printers. My experience with them has been the support material works fine but the surface quality of the part where it touches support is not as good.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: Buying my own printer [message #67366 is a reply to message #67341 ] Thu, 02 May 2013 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Could the problem with the surface were the supports touch be helped by sanding? And how do you know where supports are needed?
Re: Buying my own printer [message #67390 is a reply to message #67366 ] Fri, 03 May 2013 13:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
Supports are usually generated by the software. This is usually accomplished by; you the user, specifying an unsupported angle or distance over which support material is needed. Most slicing software supports this and has satisfactory default settings. Sanding the surface will help but you will have to sand the entire model or use some other finishing technique to get a uniform surface. I have a desktop 3d printer at home and I use it for fast form and size checks before I optimize the design for Shapeways' printers.

Most desktop printers are still pretty basic, this may change in the future but for now at least, they can't produce the complex geometries and quality of the more expensive industrial machines. They can still make some really cool stuff, but your designs are more limited by the build process.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 May 2013 13:20 UTC]

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: Buying my own printer [message #67812 is a reply to message #67390 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 05:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Myself, I'm looking at the Form 1. Hoping to get my order in while preorders are still open so I get the discount. $300 more than you said you have available, but god that thing looks like a dream. $3,300 for stereolithography printing? Count me in.

http://formlabs.com/products/our-printer

Re: Buying my own printer [message #67815 is a reply to message #67390 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Yeah. would also look for a form1 / formlab for prototyping ...

More then 7500 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once)
Re: Buying my own printer [message #67931 is a reply to message #67812 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 05:14 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I wonder when the Form 1 will be ready to ship. Maybe I should wait. It would cost $3,621.11 to pre-order a Form 1 (not using Kickstarter, and including shipping to Canada). I have that much in my professional development account. However I worry about it being such a new product. They haven't yet started shipping even to the people who paid on Kickstarter.

I read that Form 1 is being sued by 3D Systems.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027780/formlabs-form-one-thr ee-d-desktop-printer-in-full-production.html

But they sound optimistic on their blog:
http://formlabs.com/blogs/blog
However they seem to keep putting the dates back.

I don't know if my employer would let me spend my PD money on something so tentative.
I'm thinking maybe of getting the Cube printer which I can get for $1,468.01 (CDN) now, and then maybe get the Form 1 next year, when they are more established. (My PD fund gets about $1550 added to it every year up to a cap , which is 3 or 4 years worth)

[Updated on: Tue, 14 May 2013 05:51 UTC]

Previous Topic:Objects always come out very expensive to make, using Blender
Next Topic:Question on 3D printing option

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.