Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Help needed making a color gradient into a 3D print in 3DS Max
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help needed making a color gradient into a 3D print in 3DS Max [message #67864] Mon, 13 May 2013 00:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey 3DS Max experts.

I have a model with a gradient color map to color an object in 3DS Max that I need to 3D print.

I am thinking I may need to bake the gradient as a texture map then apply to the object and export as vrml with the texture map but have not figured it out yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Duann Scott,
Re: Help needed making a color gradient into a 3D print in 3DS Max [message #67874 is a reply to message #67864 ] Mon, 13 May 2013 03:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
The hard way is to use the "Render to Texture" tools in the render menu, but that bakes in lighting too, and unwraps the faces so that there may be many copies of the texture shown. That is kind of a waste of pixels and unnecessarily complicated.

Or, assuming it is a 2D procedural texture, you can just make a nice sharp rendering of a plane with the material from an orthographic viewport, then crop and resize it in an image editor. Bring that image back into a Max material and place it as desired with a UVW modifier. You probably know about editing the image path in the VRML after exporting. Things should go smoothly from there.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog

Previous Topic:Complete n00b here needs advice as a Rhino user
Next Topic:OBJ from 3DS Max has wrong scale

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.