Home »  » General Discussion » Automotive and other companies thoughts?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #41784] Thu, 12 January 2012 16:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar StewMM  is currently offline StewMM
Go to my shop
Is there any problems with 3D printing cars (or planes. trains. boats).
Surely the manufacturers would have a few things to say about it?
Re: Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #41786 is a reply to message #41784 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 17:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
If you're talking about creating to be useable in real life, its been done - car = Urbee - plane = Southampton University

For replicas or copies of existing designs that are still protected by Design Rights, Design Patents and/or Trademarks then obviously the smart move is to contact the Intellectual Property owner for express permission to copy their work as with any other design or image one might think is cool, e.g. the computer and console gaming industry pays big money for licenses to replicate real life objects in games. Creating objects for 3D printing is no different.

Re: Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #67582 is a reply to message #41786 ] Tue, 07 May 2013 14:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RandyCarlson  is currently offline RandyCarlson
Go to all my models
Slight tangent on the subject line, but follows on your reply -- I'm totally new to 3D printing and super-excited about the future. I have a decorative ball that I'd like to reproduce in a different material (aluminium or alumide), but I don't have a 3D file of it, or have any clue as to who might be the IP owner. I only need one sample for my personal use. Any ideas how I might be able to have this replicated?
Re: Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #67657 is a reply to message #67582 ] Wed, 08 May 2013 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Well, create the model (or have someone create it for you), upload it to Shapeways (non public view) and print it...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #67677 is a reply to message #67582 ] Thu, 09 May 2013 05:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Offyfriend  is currently offline Offyfriend
Go to all my models
I ordered a built Offenhauser engine about a Month ago, but haven't received the model as yet, Any idea as to when I will receive it?Thank you, Choice Dalton, choice3666@gmail.com hope to hear from someone.
Thank You,
CWD
Re: Automotive and other companies thoughts? [message #67681 is a reply to message #67677 ] Thu, 09 May 2013 07:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Offyfriend wrote on Thu, 09 May 2013 05:00

I ordered a built Offenhauser engine about a Month ago, but haven't received the model as yet, Any idea as to when I will receive it?Thank you, Choice Dalton, choice3666@gmail.com hope to hear from someone.
Thank You,
CWD

When you are logged in go to the top right of the screen.
Hover your mouse over the downward pointing arrow.
Select 'My Orders'.
Click on the Order Number of the relevant order.

If that does not answer your question, contact service@shapeways.com with the relevant order number etc.

Previous Topic:Trying to search--help please
Next Topic:Recommendation for CAD and image rendering software

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.