Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Stainless Steel Conductivity and soldering question.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless Steel Conductivity and soldering question. [message #67198] Tue, 30 April 2013 21:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar api9mm  is currently offline api9mm
Go to all my models
Hello:
Does anyone have any experiences with using the Stainless option as a conductor as a as well as possibly for soldering? The application will be a conductive 1.5v battery cap under spring pressure. I'm hoping the properties would be similar to stainless in that regard. Also, any experiences regarding silver solder would be helpful.
Thanks
Ray
Re: Stainless Steel Conductivity and soldering question. [message #67507 is a reply to message #67198 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 22:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
With the bronze content of the ss print media it should be a better electrical conductor than plain ss material.
When you say "silver solder" do you mean llow temp, lead free, silver bearing solder? Or do you mean hi temp, high silver solder?
The low temp soft solder works fine on this material just make sure the surfaces are clean and free of any protective lacquer. For hi temp soldering,
like jewelers or industrial silver solder you will need to use what is known as hi-temp "black" flux. This is a flouride based paste flux. Many jewelers and metalsmiths use the standard "white" flux but the black version gives you some extra headroom and works MUCH better on the ss print media.
The print media is a relatively poor heat conductor but this actually is not a bad thing when soldering because the heat from the torch stays localized.
Use a liberal amount of flux, if you paint it all over the piece you can avoid most or all of the heat scaling that normally occurs when you bring things to hi soldering temperature. Hope this helps? I thought i sent a responce to this question last week but it never showed up .

[Updated on: Sun, 05 May 2013 22:17 UTC]

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Stainless Steel Conductivity and soldering question. [message #67512 is a reply to message #67507 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 01:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar api9mm  is currently offline api9mm
Go to all my models
That's really great information and great news. Yes it will only be low temp soldering. I'm going to move ahead with my design as planned. Thanks!

Previous Topic:post production companies? mold or casting service?
Next Topic:premium silver

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.