Home » Support » 3D Design » Whole object is non-manifold, 20.3MB stl file
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Whole object is non-manifold, 20.3MB stl file [message #6702] Sun, 20 September 2009 23:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar isnoop  is currently offline isnoop
Go to all my models
It would appear that my model is suffering from multiple problems. I am proficient in Illustrator and Sketchup, but Blender is a bit overwhelming my first time in.

First, the main logo consists of just under 300K vertices, most of which are completely pointless. Is there some tool I can use which will automatically eliminate vectors which do not create an angled face?

Second, I followed the tutorial to resolve the non-manifold error, but my entire model (all 300,312 edges) are selected. Perhaps there is a tiny hole somewhere in my shape, but I can't find it. Is there a script or easy means to locate that?

Thanks!

• Attachment: soap.stl.zip
    (Size: 918.78KB, Downloaded 137 time(s))

Re: Whole object is non-manifold, 20.3MB stl file [message #6703 is a reply to message #6702 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 00:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar isnoop  is currently offline isnoop
Go to all my models
Okay, despite being pretty sure I'd removed duplicates once before, did it again and reduced the model down from 300K edges to 19.5K edges. A significant improvement, to be sure. I suppose now it is not as essential to reduce the number of worthless polys in the main logo, but it would be nice.

The non-manifold bits left over are a gnarly bit of nearly hidden shapes that I could just as easily do without.
Re: Whole object is non-manifold, 20.3MB stl file [message #6705 is a reply to message #6703 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 02:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Here's your main problem. Red indicates flipped normals.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1420&private=0

I've attatched the fixed file for you, but I still think it'll need some work. A lot of your conversion artifacts are quite small and will probably flag the shapeways systems for minimum feature size.

I recommend exploding your model into shells, deleting all the unnecessary junk, and then boolean everything back together.

Also, converted your model to mm.

Previous Topic:manifold, normals, strange texture
Next Topic:Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.