Home » Support » 3D Printing » Decreasing Cost
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Decreasing Cost [message #66759] Wed, 24 April 2013 02:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar robheath  is currently offline robheath
Go to all my models
Hey everyone. I am new to the shapeways community and 3d printing in general. I am trying to get this head piece I sculpted, printed at about 14 inches tall and after uploading it to the site, I was surprised to see shapeways said it will cost me $12,190.60 to print it. Yeeessh.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1058248/lowres-high-netfab.ht ml?li=modelEdit

I understand the larger it is the more materials / time it takes to create, but I am reaching out to see if there is anything I can do to bring this down a bit. It is an art piece, my budget to print this is in the low hundreds.

Should I slice it into parts and print the slices individually? Would making it hollow make it cheaper?
Re: Decreasing Cost [message #66766 is a reply to message #66759 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 05:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Would making it hollow make it cheaper?

Yes, the price is by volume.

You should read:

tutorials
materials

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 09:10 UTC]

Previous Topic:3D printing blocks
Next Topic:Precision & accuracy

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.