Home »  » Work in progress » Enclosure + Lid
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Enclosure + Lid [message #66144] Mon, 15 April 2013 14:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar mphatak  is currently offline mphatak
Go to all my models
The attached enclosure and lid works out EUR 247 with Alumide, which seems expensive, especially when I see iPhone cases for less than EUR 20....

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66197 is a reply to message #66144 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
What are your intended dimensions? Your units need to match the units you specify when uploading to Shapeways.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66199 is a reply to message #66197 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

My PCB is 180mm x 120mm sitting on top of 5mm spacers so I am aiming at an enclosure something like 185mm x 125mm x 50mm.

I have tried many designs now but never seem to get under the 100 EUR price level.

I will next try reducing the enclosure wall thickness to 1.5mm (the minimum permitted for Alumide) and see if that makes any difference..

I was just wondering what the experiences are out there in getting PCB enclosures that do not cost more than the components themselves...

PS. this is my first attempt at 3D-printing so forgive any obvious gaffs Smile

regards
Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66206 is a reply to message #66199 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 15:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
[quote ]
I will next try reducing the enclosure wall thickness to 1.5mm (the minimum permitted for Alumide) and see if that makes any difference..[/quote]

I think your current model has wall thickness of 2mm so this would reduce your price by approx. 1/4.

The prints for wsf and alumide are priced by volume, so the best way to get the price down is have less material (obvious, huh?). What a lot of people would include in such a design is 'ventilation slots' which double as price reducers. These slots can be as fancy as you want and allow you to really personalise the design, and the more you have the cheaper the model. Of course the model will be less strong then, but even as it is now the panels might flex or not print correctly.

I would also check that the picture you see of your model in 'My Models' has the larger ports correctly showing, as I think there may be a problem with your model there. This picture shows you what will actually print, by-and-large, and if something seems not right there you should investigate.

Good luck.
Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66244 is a reply to message #66206 ] Wed, 17 April 2013 07:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I like the idea of ventilation slots..! Thanks for the tips.
Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66306 is a reply to message #66244 ] Thu, 18 April 2013 00:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Or even design it as a cage, then you would really save. Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Enclosure + Lid [message #66685 is a reply to message #66306 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 07:17 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
great idea - just finished making the changes...

Previous Topic:Cubes
Next Topic:Problem with Model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.