Home » Support » 3D Applications » New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions? [message #64904] Tue, 26 March 2013 14:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar razvanel  is currently offline razvanel
Go to all my models
I am new to this, I want to start designing objects that I first take measurements for and then be able to create skins for objects. What is the best software to start learning on where I can create lets say a miniature of my house but up to scale? Thank you for any advice.
Re: New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions? [message #65493 is a reply to message #64904 ] Thu, 04 April 2013 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Sketchup or Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0.

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions? [message #66467 is a reply to message #64904 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 20:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KenHecker  is currently offline KenHecker
Go to all my models
Not sure what you mean by "skins" Do you mean textures? I use SolidWorks, which is very precise about dimensions. It's a CAD program, so no very good at anything but general colors for different objects. But you can import it into other software for the finishing touches.

Attached is a very accurate model of my high school gym (the way it USED to be)index.php?t=getfile&id=30856&private=0, done in Solidworks.

Re: New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions? [message #66469 is a reply to message #66467 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
I would love to use Solidworks too, but to the best of my understanding it's priced at $5000 US. Very Happy

I prefer to know nothing about everything rather than everything about nothing.  

James
Re: New to this. best software to design something according to specific dimensions? [message #66490 is a reply to message #66469 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 00:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar KenHecker  is currently offline KenHecker
Go to all my models
Yeah, well you have to be creative.

Previous Topic:Where to start?
Next Topic:Any 3ds Max users out there want to help a guy out?