Home » Community » General Discussion » Orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Orientation [message #66458] Fri, 19 April 2013 19:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar grogbro  is currently offline grogbro
Go to my shop
My buddy just bought a 3d printer and he said that he cant print this spider.stl I sent him because its 'on its side' but its the same file I sent Shapeways. How does shapeways do it and his somewhat high quality machine (I dont know much about them) can't? Is it that Shapeways is actually taking my spider and flipping it onto its legs (orienting it correctly) or can you print them at any orientation you want really with any 3d printer?
Re: Orientation [message #66461 is a reply to message #66458 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 19:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Both.

Do you know what printer he has? Most at home printers require using support structures, made of the same material as the print, to support overhangs.

Our operators rotate models to obtain highest quantity, and quality in a build tray. All of our printers either use unfused build material for support, or use a weaker material for supports so they can be cleaned after production. So your spider could be produced any which way.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Orientation [message #66466 is a reply to message #66461 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar grogbro  is currently offline grogbro
Go to my shop
Here is the spider btw.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/757615/blackwoods-large-spide r.html?li=productBox-search

I asked him why it couldnt be printer and he said it was on his side. Although he just got the printer so I'm not sure he's knows himself. It's a printer that uses 'g code' if that helps any.

thanks for your help! I already got the spider printed via Shapeways and it turned out great, so I was just trying to help him out.
Re: Orientation [message #66476 is a reply to message #66466 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 21:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
You can rotate the spider in http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Printing in pixels?
Next Topic:teamgeist style Foosball ball

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.