Home » Community » General Discussion » Printing stainless for inlays
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing stainless for inlays [message #62327] Mon, 18 February 2013 18:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar BigRockForge  is currently offline BigRockForge
Go to all my models
I'm wondering if you can print an object in stainless with fine enough 'grooves' for inlaying wire. i.e. a groove of a certain width and depth to allow inlay of a wire of equivalent gauge. And if so.. what limits would there be on how small and fine I could go? Obviously I can print the object and then file in my own grooves.. but if it can be done in the print process.. why not?
Re: Printing stainless for inlays [message #62333 is a reply to message #62327 ] Mon, 18 February 2013 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Take a look at this downloadable model by Improbablecog. You can download this and take measurements of those slots. The designer, hand finished it so you can clearly
see what slots printed and what slots merged together.

Take a look at this image.

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_124200_102391_1338413386.jpg

And a cross section diagram I did on the model.

https://sites.google.com/site/shapewaysforumimages/_/rsrc/1361217620649/home/clearence.jpg

As you can see, the seventh slot merged together. Measuring the clearance of that seventh slot we get 0.235 mm. Yet, the sixth slot
next to it did print and its clearance is 0.316 mm. So keep it above 0.316 mm to have it print, right? Well, yes if you're going to hand finish it, no if you're going to
leave it as printed. Here's why. Take a look at this model from the same designer. You can also download this and take measurements.

As you can see in this image,

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_81779_95764_1338413385.jpg

The central slots printed, but being unfinished beyond Shapeways' bulk finishing they are kind of rough and if
we measure the clearance we see that it is nearly double.

https://sites.google.com/site/shapewaysforumimages/_/rsrc/1361219140646/home/clearence2.jpg

Keep in mind also that there is some variability from print to print in stainless too, so I would add another two tenths of a mm for that. I have spent time on this reply
cuz I am also interested in these things as I am learning about it too and I will come back to this thread for future reference. Smile

James

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Printing stainless for inlays [message #66378 is a reply to message #62327 ] Thu, 18 April 2013 20:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
In a lot of ways the printed media should be perfect for wire inlay work. Because of the relatively coarse grainy texture it should hold wire without any further prep work (like undercutting). The key is going to be in determining optimum groove size. As mentioned in this thread, if inscribed lines are too narrow they have a tendency to come out of the furnace in less than optimum condition. If you have to clean the lines up with a hand graver it would defeat the advantage. Carving/ engraving this stuff is a real booger! Maybe print a simple test plate say 3" long with various width lines both straight and curved. I don't think you will be able to get consistant results with lines thinner than .040".
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Have you got experience in additive manufacture and the domestic market? Paid questionnaire below..
Next Topic:3D Printing Text Quotes

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.