Home » Support » Bug Reporting » My first task the 3D Part Database
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6630] Thu, 17 September 2009 14:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar Mathijs van beers  is currently offline Mathijs van beers
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm an intern!
Hello everyone!
Some people might have already read my introduction blog post and noticed I was talking about this thread about the 3D Parts Database.
My first task here at Shapeways will be in expanding and improving the database.The basic idea of the 3D Parts Database is this to have a place where you can find tested & useful 3D printing parts. You can download these parts for free under a Creative Commons license. I think having a 3D part database is of great value for starter designers but also will make the life of professional designers much easier. You don’t need to invest time or money to get the perfect gap between a hinge or gearwheel. You will know that the database will offer you trustworthy results.
The things I'm going to be doing:

add more file types so more people can use the database
showing more people how beneficial the database is
add more parts to the database

If you have any suggestions or comments about the 3D part database you can post them below. Do you want a particular file type? Have an idea for a part? I will keep you updated here once I've changed something in the database.

Cheers,
Mathijs

[Updated on: Thu, 17 September 2009 14:56 UTC] by Moderator

Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6631 is a reply to message #6630 ] Thu, 17 September 2009 15:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar raalst  is currently offline raalst
Go to my shop
Hi, I found the gears of value.
however, the downloaded STL, when imported into Wings-3D give all
surfaces a sort of checkered appearance with far more lines than necessary.
This makes the part usable for me only as a whole.
I can size it, but e.g. changing the axle into a hole is very hard
(for me as a noob).
index.php?t=getfile&id=1393&private=0

having said that, I am trying to construct a gear pump from it, and I'm more than happy to contribute that when it has shown to function (and can cope with the wear).
so, maybe Shapeways should have a quick thing about what is useful in the
download database, and offer people the means to contribute (maybe a small
reward like a discount coupon or something would entice more contributors ?)
I think shapeways should make very clear how Intellectual Property etc is handled when people are allowed to contribute, btw.

The download function was out of order for a while, so you also might want to advertise its availability a bit more now that it works.

I'm curious what others think about the downloads.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 September 2009 15:49 UTC]

Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6632 is a reply to message #6630 ] Thu, 17 September 2009 15:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Iges or SAT pleeeeeease. Well I don't download anything, I want them for upload.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6634 is a reply to message #6630 ] Thu, 17 September 2009 16:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sapient8  is currently offline Sapient8
Go to all my models
I downloaded a few files to play around with them and see the gaps that were being used. I wouldn't mind the ability to upload some models of my own, of a similar nature such as gears and mechanisms. I have a cool worm gear that I'm getting ready to print that would make a nice addition.
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6641 is a reply to message #6630 ] Thu, 17 September 2009 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback.
We will look into the usability of the files.

Any other suggestion on how can we make the 3D parts gallery more interesting and / or useful for you?

What kind of models / test pieces would you like to see...

Cheers Peter Paul
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6646 is a reply to message #6631 ] Fri, 18 September 2009 07:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm an intern!
Hey Raalst,

Thanks for you replay!
I have three things to say about your post.
First of all, a gear pomp roxs! If you have made any progress please let me know. I might take that idea and upload it, or workout one my own if that is ok by you?

The second thing is:
raalst wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 15:43

Hi, I found the gears of value.
however, the downloaded STL, when imported into Wings-3D give all
surfaces a sort of checkered appearance with far more lines than necessary.
This makes the part usable for me only as a whole.
I can size it, but e.g. changing the axle into a hole is very hard

Wings-3D doesn’t support .STL files to import. the import formats are:
Nendo (NDO)
3D Studio (3DS)
Wavefront (OBJ)
FBX (on Windows and Mac OS X)
Adobe Illustrator 8 (AI)
You could try Meshlab to convert a .STL file into some of the file types named above.

The last note I have, gearwheels can't be scaled. If you scale a gearwheel, the teeth and the gap between them won’t work on a different wheel unless you scale it with the same value. Just to keep that in mind Wink

Cheers,
Mathijs
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6699 is a reply to message #6646 ] Sun, 20 September 2009 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
by all means, if you can design a gear pump, great !

I have a specific request for another functional part.
I need a ball, which can be inserted into a hollow sphere (cup, or donut shape)
so that it is snug, clicks in, but can still rotate in all directions.
these things are e.g. seen as click-on fasteners for RC planes and such.
I need a large version of that. However, you need to have a feeling
about the flexibility of the material before you can decide how high/narrow
the receiving cup can be. if you could design suchlike in WSF, I would
gladly do the gearpump.

about sizing gears, I know. but sizing them all the same amount does produce
valid gears, right ? combined with the 2mm wall thickness you might want to
consider adding minimum size as information about the download. once in
wings it has no size any more....

my wings does have import of .stl. I run ubuntu, and got wings via the system installer, no fancy recompilation and such. version 1.0.1.
I use wings because it seemed less of a task than learning blender.
Do you have any other suggestions for entry-level modeling tools, if wings is
regarded a bad choice in any way ?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1417&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 20 September 2009 19:22 UTC]

Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6701 is a reply to message #6699 ] Sun, 20 September 2009 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
example of what I mean with the ball-and-donut, sort of (they are called ball links apparently)

index.php?t=getfile&id=1418&private=0

• Attachment: balllink.jpg
    (Size: 18.09KB, Downloaded 408 time(s))

Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6710 is a reply to message #6701 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 04:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
I'd look at what Thingiverse is doing with this idea.

http://www.thingiverse.com/

Excellent, well thought out database.
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6723 is a reply to message #6701 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 11:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm an intern!
raalst wrote on Sun, 20 September 2009 19:43

example of what I mean with the ball-and-donut, sort of (they are called ball links apparently)

index.php?t=getfile&id=1418&private=0

Working on something like that right now! I’m trying to make it "printed at once" and a "click in" version. Would be cool to use it as a hinge in a robot model or something like that. Thanks for the tip and I really hope this piece works out well.

Greets,
Mathijs

[Updated on: Mon, 21 September 2009 11:38 UTC]

Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6744 is a reply to message #6723 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 20:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
glad you help out !
But I am concerned for a tight fit.
producing it in one go (ball in cup) will mean a lot of slop, I guess.

just to be sure : I only need a ball and the cup/donut around it, my application is
quite a different one than a normal ball joint. It will be part of a hardware
mixer for submarine X-tails (clearer now ? Wink )
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6863 is a reply to message #6632 ] Mon, 28 September 2009 08:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm an intern!
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 15:53

Iges or SAT pleeeeeease. Well I don't download anything, I want them for upload.

Hey Michael,
I was wondering why you want the file types .IGES or .SAT so much? What software program are you using with this file types?

Thanks,
Mathijs
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6870 is a reply to message #6630 ] Mon, 28 September 2009 15:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I use KeyCreator. IGES and SAT are what we use for our mold makers. And I've used IGES before for an SLA. They are smaller in file size and are much easier to handle in KeyCreator. In fact, most the STL's I export from KC I can't open in KC because of being too many objects. I can even export in DWG wich used to be more of a standard in CAD but has lost popularity to SolidWorks.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #6984 is a reply to message #6630 ] Fri, 02 October 2009 03:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sapient8  is currently offline Sapient8
Go to all my models
Well they're two different formats geared for different applications. DWG has always been a standard format (not to be confused with *the* standard format) since it's so basic that anything can translate it. But when you're working with a parametric modeler like Inventor or Solidworks, DWG files become inadequate since they're not parametric, you loose all the construction data and whatnot.

IGS and SAT (along with STEP) files are usually associated more with 3d solids rather than the STL filetype which is a wireframe. Solids can be converted to wireframe reasonably easy (typically) but converting a wireframe to a solid model is difficult, if possible at all. Some programs can do it but even then it's a pseudo-solid model.
That said, If the part was designed first as a solid model, then providing an IGS or similar generic filetype would be VERY helpful since it'd be compatible with many mechanical design programs. Personally of all the STL models I've made were done in Inventor or Solidworks since that's what I use for the mechanical parts I design for profession. It's in contrast to programs like 3ds max and blender which are geared for more freeform modeling and such.
Re: My first task the 3D Part Database [message #7008 is a reply to message #6630 ] Fri, 02 October 2009 12:01 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
Ok, I think I see your points, DWG doesn't work for me because it imports as "shells" that I can't stitch to make a solid. All I can do is like you said with wire frames. Explode it to lines, then try the create solid from wireframe. With STL if I can get KC to open it, I can stitch the surfaces together to make a solid. Now like you said, IGES, STEP and SAT, I open, they are solid, I can start working with them. Their file size is significantly smaller, and they better represent curves.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:JING for Support Issues
Next Topic:Really annoyed with ratings stars.