Home » Community » General Discussion » Why is the software saying my model is too small?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why is the software saying my model is too small? [message #65870] Wed, 10 April 2013 03:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar tylerham  is currently offline tylerham
Go to all my models
Hi All...

I am trying to upload a small face for print, but I keep getting errors saying it is "too small"

The minimum size requirement is .25 cm cubed, my model is WAY larger, being 2.5 cm high, by 1.3 cm deep, by 1.7 cm wide.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Tyler

Re: Why is the software saying my model is too small? [message #65872 is a reply to message #65870 ] Wed, 10 April 2013 05:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Wrong units?

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Why is the software saying my model is too small? [message #65873 is a reply to message #65872 ] Wed, 10 April 2013 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
denali3ddesign wrote on Wed, 10 April 2013 05:39

Wrong units?

Almost certainly.

You don't say what software you are using or what file format you are trying to upload with, but the most likely scenario is that the units in your software are not cm.

If your export file is in .stl format you can use Netfabb Basic (free) to check what size the object is: if it's ok here then SW is at fault, if not it's somewhere in your process.

Good Luck!
Re: Why is the software saying my model is too small? [message #65977 is a reply to message #65870 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 11:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looking at the image I can see that your model is not closed. It needs to be completely closed for things to work properly. Close up those eyes and any other holes you have and things should work much better. Get Netfabb Studio Basic to check things out, make repairs and set the scale.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.

Previous Topic:shapeways 3d parts database down?
Next Topic:building a .wrl that works

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.