Home » Community » It arrived! » Screwy Octahedron puzzle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Screwy Octahedron puzzle [message #6594] Wed, 16 September 2009 15:16 UTC
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
index.php?t=getfile&id=1386&private=0

This is a new puzzle which uses pieces that are joined spheres. There are four puzzle pieces, and the goal is to assemble them into an octahedron (below). Looking at the pieces, this does not look possible! Three of the pieces are shaped like screws, and the fourth looks like a Y.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1385&private=0

This puzzle seems actually to be not that difficult, but perhaps I am biased. It is rather surprising that the final pieces interlock, meaning that the whole puzzle holds itself together. I have been unable to successfully assemble this puzzle when made out of wood, it breaks. However WSF comes to the rescue, and with a little flex and force, the final piece pops into place. For this reason the puzzle cannot be ordered made from any other material.

These pieces are hollow. The spheres are 12mm in diameter and the walls are only 1mm thick. I had to put in some holes, and I decided to put in more than necessary. Some people like the look of these "holey pieces", others do not. The next photo shows some other puzzles from my shop, one of which is made from even larger hollow spheres (16mm diameter).

index.php?t=getfile&id=1388&private=0

One cool thing I didn't realize before printing it is that the final assembled puzzle makes a great top.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1387&private=0

See more my designs at poly puzzles.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 September 2009 16:49 UTC]

Previous Topic:Swirl Bowl
Next Topic:Voxel sculpt

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.