Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » How resistant is SW's metal printing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How resistant is SW's metal printing? [message #65648] Sat, 06 April 2013 23:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dudebro  is currently offline Dudebro
Go to all my models
I want to make some custom glasses frames, nothing too crazy but frames are have to take far more punishment than a decoration does and are subjected to a lot of flex and even impact.

What I need to know is how well does SW's metal printing/CNC takes this sort of use, has anyone here made metal frame glasses? where there any fractures in the hinges? decoloration? how heavy was the frame compared to a similar non-printed unit?
Re: How resistant is SW's metal printing? [message #65722 is a reply to message #65648 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Maybe this is helpful:

http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-stainles s.pdf
Re: How resistant is SW's metal printing? [message #67421 is a reply to message #65648 ] Fri, 03 May 2013 22:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
"Eyeglass frames" are not a good candidate for the ss media. Would you try to use cast iron? The printed ss media has very similar properties and it's even heavier.
Some of the plastic medias would probably serve quite well and would cost far less.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Fullcolor Sandstone blender exporting X3D problem
Next Topic:Few questions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.