Home » Community » General Discussion » New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #64916] Tue, 26 March 2013 15:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar razvanel  is currently offline razvanel
Go to all my models
I need a application where its easiest for a beginner to measure each wall and input exact dimensions. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #64965 is a reply to message #64916 ] Wed, 27 March 2013 05:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Sketchup will be best for your needs. Its free and intended for modeling architecture. http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/gsu.html

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65179 is a reply to message #64916 ] Sat, 30 March 2013 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robertbonenfant  is currently offline robertbonenfant
Go to all my models
I use Autodesk 3DS Max Design

Its hard to learn but once you get it, its well worth it
I used Google As well but it really limits what CAD design is & what you can do

Free 30 day trail on there website

90 lease $199 Wink love this option
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65186 is a reply to message #65179 ] Sat, 30 March 2013 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use Truespace for this very feature.. accurate dimensions.
But Blender is good for it also.
Both are free.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65349 is a reply to message #64965 ] Tue, 02 April 2013 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar razvanel  is currently offline razvanel
Go to all my models
Thank you for your answer. So after I design a piece in sketch up, what software do I use to import into and print it. Also, will the dimensions transfer to the printer as well?
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65351 is a reply to message #65349 ] Tue, 02 April 2013 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Install this plugin for Sketchup, then you can export to STL, and upload the STL directly to Shapeways. Remember what you set the units to when you export, set those units when uploading, and the dimensions will work out.

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65353 is a reply to message #65349 ] Tue, 02 April 2013 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Export as a DAE and upload to Shapeways. Yes, the dimensions or units remain the same, but you need to tell Shapeways whether it was designed in millimeters or inches. To set the units in Sketchup go to Window then model Info then Units. Double check your overall dimensions after setting the units with the Tape Measure Tool. Once uploaded to Shapeways look at the bounding box size displayed by Shapeways and make sure that looks right also.

Once you've done all of that and placed an order Shapeways will then manually check everything to make sure that there are no foreseeable problems with doing the print and if everything looks good they'll print it.

Hi, I'm James, maker of precision scrap! :p
Re: New to design. What is the best software to design a up to scale object like my house. [message #65355 is a reply to message #65353 ] Tue, 02 April 2013 15:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looks like Marcus beat me to it. Very Happy Yes, this is another way of doing it. One of the benefits of Marcus' way is you have a STL file and if there are problems you can send the file to the Netfabb Cloud Service for repairs.

Hi, I'm James, maker of precision scrap! :p

Previous Topic:Whats the secret for making affordable prints?
Next Topic:Personalized Option?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.