Home » Community » General Discussion » Fast local printing alternative?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Fast local printing alternative? [message #65230] Sun, 31 March 2013 10:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichielChase  is currently offline MichielChase
Go to all my models
Hi guys,

Just came across this website claiming fast (1 day) 3d-printing on, it seems, a network of local desktop printers:

http://www.nextday3dprints.com

Do you think it's for real? Might be an interesting alternative for faster prototyping before printing the final design at Shapeways.
Re: Fast local printing alternative? [message #65231 is a reply to message #65230 ] Sun, 31 March 2013 11:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Doesn't seem to be more than a webpage:

Quote:

Next Day 3D Prints

Thanks for your interest!

As we are currently beta-testing,
we will send you an email as soon
as we're launching!

[Updated on: Sun, 31 March 2013 11:43 UTC]

Re: Fast local printing alternative? [message #65232 is a reply to message #65230 ] Sun, 31 March 2013 11:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
First off, the domain is registered to Brian Garret Design (Brian Garret is associated with FOC - so not a bad thing)
The domain is only registered for one year - little alarm bell rings - tucows whois search
The website has no terms, instructions or even what countries the service is available to, the website doesn't seem to be IE friendly.
Using Chrome, I can now see that I need to enter my name and an email address.
This results in;
Quote:

Thanks for your interest!

As we are currently beta-testing,
we will send you an email as soon
as we're launching!

So yep might be for real - but I would say that until the site is properly live to just keep an eye on things to see how they pan out.
And also be aware that 'desktop' printers have different design rules to the materials Shapeways offer.

Paul

Previous Topic:Legalities of Selling Things Based on Historical Figures
Next Topic:hi to everyone