Home » Community » Work in progress » Sapphire Ring
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64056 is a reply to message #64046 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 05:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Ray716 - Yeah, of course. Itd be nice if there were a way to keep it all black that way I can play with red and white stones. I will be removing the black from the high points, very lightly give it a mirror polish, give it a good buffing then seal it to prevent it from blackening then the stone setting.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 March 2013 05:52 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64057 is a reply to message #64047 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 05:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
UniverseBecoming - Oh wow, I never even thought of that. It makes a lot of sense. Imma be spending all night researching this on youtube. he he hee... Very Happy
Yeah, thats some real good advice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64121 is a reply to message #64057 ] Thu, 14 March 2013 23:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Patina came out a bit grey, I'll be dipping it in Liver of Sulfur until its dark black.

index.php?t=getfile&id=29029&private=0

• Attachment: Patinated.jpg
    (Size: 309.62KB, Downloaded 520 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 15 March 2013 07:16 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64173 is a reply to message #64121 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
Did you have the option to paint the zones you don`t want darkened then remove the paint ? Or using a solvent removes the patina too ?

numarul7 jewelry and design
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64204 is a reply to message #64173 ] Fri, 15 March 2013 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I use the square polishing pads shown in the picture. All this is done at home after receiving my designs from Shapeways. I manually remove the patina but I'm not sure if painting the parts I don't want patinated then removing the paint afterwards will work because the Liver of Sulfur (Patina) is some pretty strong stuff. I see what you mean tho, worth looking in to...

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64417 is a reply to message #64204 ] Tue, 19 March 2013 11:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cool, I got it dark to where I want it, polished it lightly and currently sealing it. I will start setting the stones tomorrow... Confused Confused Confused

index.php?t=getfile&id=29276&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_6204.jpg
    (Size: 229.75KB, Downloaded 451 time(s))

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64537 is a reply to message #64417 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 01:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oreosmooshy  is currently offline Oreosmooshy
Go to my shop
Wow! Now that is a gift from the heart.
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64884 is a reply to message #64537 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 07:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Damn, I kinda knew it was a little overambitious of me to set 6 side stones and 1 large main stone for the first time. Ive never done this before. At the very least the entire process was good for me since I learned a lot. All I gotta say is... Nailed it..! Cool he he he... yeah, imma take some pictures right now and go have me a beer or maybe two, possibly more to celebrate... Ill be posting pictures real soon. Soo excited.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2013 07:06 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64895 is a reply to message #64884 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Lost track of time. he he... Check it out. What you guys think? I did learn a few things though. The prongs on the main stone had to be shortened only a little bit though. Safer to keep the stone lower. Finished just in time, its my moms B-Day tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=29675&private=0

• Attachment: 1.jpg
    (Size: 368.86KB, Downloaded 380 time(s))

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64909 is a reply to message #64895 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Spectacular! Surprised

Makes me want to try it! *looks for gems on eBay* Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64912 is a reply to message #64895 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
Very excellent for a first try! Thanks for sharing this project with us. Very Happy While there are a few areas where I would push the prongs down more securely onto the stone, as long as they dont move you should be fine. Cool

Congratulations on Excellent work!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64913 is a reply to message #64895 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oreosmooshy  is currently offline Oreosmooshy
Go to my shop
Your mom's gonna flip! Very Happy
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64914 is a reply to message #64913 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 15:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great work on the design and finish, but also amazing photos. Well done.
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #64931 is a reply to message #64914 ] Tue, 26 March 2013 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah thanks everybody for your help and input during the design process and believe me, I did a lot of youtube searching. My next ring will have only 1 main stone. I found that several side stones and small stones are very stressful for a beginner.

UniverseBecoming - If your gonna get 'em off of eBay, make sure they are untreated/unheated or else you might get one that fades in color.

AmLachDesigns - Thanks, yeah usually I dont take good pictures but im happy with these. Although im just noticing that everything reflects off off the gem and I still need to clean off some gunk off of the main stone. Rolling Eyes Something to consider next time I take pictures. LOL...

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2013 19:10 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #65068 is a reply to message #64931 ] Thu, 28 March 2013 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HenryAlfredo  is currently offline HenryAlfredo
Go to my shop
Wow very naishe Smile
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #65243 is a reply to message #64931 ] Sun, 31 March 2013 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
SG Designs wrote on Tue, 26 March 2013 19:04

UniverseBecoming - If your gonna get 'em off of eBay, make sure they are untreated/unheated or else you might get one that fades in color.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about that! Very Happy

Lately though, I've been thinking of abandoning silver with Shapeways until they offer a finished product at a price that still lets the shop owner make a profit. I would do the finishing myself, but they take WAYYYYY too long to complete orders in silver. Laughing I think I'm going to concentrate more on the materials that come from Shapeways as finished products. Cool

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66367 is a reply to message #59504 ] Thu, 18 April 2013 17:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Excellent job, Sal. By the way, did you ever post this in the It Arrived forum? And what did you seal the patina in with?

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66389 is a reply to message #66367 ] Thu, 18 April 2013 23:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman - Hey, thanks for reminding me.. Ive been busy working on my website and business card design that I forgot to post this ring and the caricature pendant on the "arrived" forum. Gotta get on that today.

lensman - Thinking of adding this as the intro to my website www.sgcustomsilver.com What you think, too much? Check out the video below just make sure to click on the HD button for better quality.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200186608242520

[Updated on: Thu, 18 April 2013 23:59 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66390 is a reply to message #59504 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 00:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Whoa, had my headphones on and my son had left the volume at about 90% - just about blew my brains out! .... Well, I know the sort of designs you've done in the past with skulls, etc., but I do think this is a touch too much. And I have no doubt that your designs will evolve and having something like that intro could well put off a lot of people... Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66391 is a reply to message #59504 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 00:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Having said that I just took a look at your website. Fantastic graphic, which I'm assuming you did?

Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66403 is a reply to message #66391 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah, I was on the fence about that. I was kinda thinking the same about the intro,Just needed a set of fresh eyes to look at it. Thanks man.

Yeah, the website ill be similar to the page I have up now. A lot more tamed then the intro. Im gonna keep the site the way it is though.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 April 2013 03:56 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66423 is a reply to message #66403 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 13:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Be sure to crosspost this to the "Feature this" section as well when you put it in "It arrived".
(Not quite my style, but there is no denying that you are a very skulled artist Very Happy )
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66849 is a reply to message #66367 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 11:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman - Hi Glenn, looks like I forgot to answer your question. I use Renaissance wax. I did my research on whats the best product out there and this type of was was developed specifically for this. A museum in the UK made it to seal artifacts to prevent any blackening overtime. If its good enough for priceless museum relics, its good enough for me. Also, thanks for the advice you gave me on the motor stand. The first link you sent me was exactly what I wanted. Its a 3in1. Table top, side mount and wall mount. Heres my set up, its not much but if you saw my last work space you'd laugh but im working on my own frankenbench.

index.php?t=getfile&id=31156&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_6171.JPG
    (Size: 943.74KB, Downloaded 155 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2013 11:44 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66850 is a reply to message #59504 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Glad that link worked out, and yeah, I've been meaning to get hold of some of that wax for a while now.

Re: Sapphire Ring [message #66859 is a reply to message #66850 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 14:29 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Ebay has some
http://www.ebay.com/soc/itm/321088101488

Rio Grande should have some too.

index.php?t=getfile&id=31159&private=0

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:Problem uploading model :(
Next Topic:First Model - Looking for an Evaluation

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.