Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » iPhone 4/4S case files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
iPhone 4/4S case files [message #64423] Tue, 19 March 2013 12:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar BAdesign  is currently offline BAdesign
Go to my shop
Hey

I want to make a custom made iPhone case with my company logo and i want an editable file to start with (i work with solidworks so parasolid files would be best).

can someone sent me one that is tested to fit iPhone 4/4S perfectly (for the SWF materials)?
the back would be almost full so in order to lower the cost what minimum thickness would be strong enough and printable?

iPhone 5 files would be great too Smile

Thanks
Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #64745 is a reply to message #64423 ] Sun, 24 March 2013 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joe1029  is currently offline joe1029
Go to my shop
Here you go. This is the basic iphone 4s case I use for my cases. I just cut out the back and modify it. I got it from another designer on shapeways, wish I could remember who. I'll see if I can look that up. But I've printed it 4 times now and it's fit every time.

Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #64746 is a reply to message #64745 ] Sun, 24 March 2013 09:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have one with the back already cut out too. Not familiar with parasolid, I hope .obj works. If not, let me know.

Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #64987 is a reply to message #64746 ] Wed, 27 March 2013 13:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Joe

Thanks for the help but these file types are not good for me, I cant edit them and when i tried to make them usable they came out corrupted (they looked good before i started messing with them...).

I only know how to deal with solidworks so many files are above my skills... Sad
Any other file types out there? (x_t, x_b. igs, sldprt, step)

Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #65030 is a reply to message #64987 ] Wed, 27 March 2013 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm looking for software that can convert .obj to .x_t. If I find anything I'll post it. Anyone else out there have any tips?

Can you work with .stl?
Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #65065 is a reply to message #64987 ] Thu, 28 March 2013 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar glehn  is currently offline glehn
Go to my shop
STL or OBJ are "mesh" files and usually the output of freeforming design tools such as Blender or 3D Max. It is a complete different approach than what engineering CAD tools (such as Solidworks) use.
Even IGES or STEP formats can be hard to modify as usually they bring in only the dumb geometry with no parametrics.
I am not very familiar with Solidworks (I am CATIA user myself), but can you just use these mesh files as a reference to obtain the main dimensions and then model your new part? From my experience in dealing with file conversions, for simpler parts that might be the quickest approach.

Regards,
Luis
Re: iPhone 4/4S case files [message #65076 is a reply to message #64423 ] Thu, 28 March 2013 19:38 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Joe and Luis

.obj files are easier for me to manipulate (take to solid body and add/remove material from it), or if i see that remodeling it would be easier i will try what Luis suggested.
But the basic idea was to take a print proven model and not designing it myself and take chances..

Previous Topic:2D to 3D
Next Topic:Spring thickness?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.