Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Optical parts with 3D printing?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64486] Wed, 20 March 2013 15:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar s_bas  is currently offline s_bas
Go to all my models
Hi, does anyone have any experience with 3D printing of optical parts (for instance prism) by Shapeways?

As I know, for optical parts it must be a proper material and proper surfaces: of accurate shape and well polished. As far as the material goes, it seems like the Shapeways' Fine Detail Plastic, transparent should be good. (Definitively, its refraction index is to be taken into consideration). What interests me is the surface quality: if 3D printing used here provides surface smooth enough for that material?

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
s_bas
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64488 is a reply to message #64486 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 15:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The most translucent is Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail - but even that will take loads of post-processing work (polishing) to get decent optical qualities.

Paul

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2013 15:41 UTC]

Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64506 is a reply to message #64488 ] Wed, 20 March 2013 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FabMeJewelry  is currently offline FabMeJewelry
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
This lens is a good example of what is possible with the transparent detail material Smile

Wesley Günter - FabMeJewelry.com - Set a course, for the future !
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64609 is a reply to message #64506 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Does anyone know a 3D printing service which offers a higher printing resolution so to allow optical quality surfaces ?

If interested, this is a much referred to article on printed Optics (they used there own printer I assume):

http://www.disneyresearch.com/project/printed-optics/
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64610 is a reply to message #64486 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I believe they used similar printers and materials to our FUD and FD prints.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64614 is a reply to message #64610 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 21 March 2013 17:57

I believe they used similar printers and materials to our FUD and FD prints.

Fine Detail Plastic / Transparent Detail, Objet Eden 260V.
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64667 is a reply to message #64610 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Michael,
In this case why Disney Research people were able to get the optical quality surfaces and we can not get it from Shapeways?

Disney Research used print resolution 600 dpi. I think the resolution as high just is not utilized in the Shapeways printing. If it is so then is it possible to provide the option of high resolution to Shapeways users ?
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64670 is a reply to message #64667 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
600dpi is still 0.04mm steps no matter where you look.

Shapeways FUD is 0.033 steps, and that still needs polishing to acheive any optical quality.

Basically what you have is the equivalent of an injet printer but in 3D, only so many dots can be laid down in one area, there is no infinite grading of slopes or curves - to get to those you need to get the nearest surface you can with 3D priting technologly and then add some elbow grease.

Paul

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2013 15:24 UTC]

Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64674 is a reply to message #64667 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 16:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
s_bas wrote on Fri, 22 March 2013 14:52

Thanks Michael,
In this case why Disney Research people were able to get the optical quality surfaces and we can not get it from Shapeways?

Disney Research used print resolution 600 dpi. I think the resolution as high just is not utilized in the Shapeways printing. If it is so then is it possible to provide the option of high resolution to Shapeways users ?

From the source that you cite (my bold):

Quote:

In this work we used an Objet Eden260V 3D printer and Objet VeroClear transparent material to fabricate optical elements. VeroClear has similar optical properties to Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA), commonly known as plexiglasTM, with a refractive index of 1.47 (650nm light source). Several other manufacturers also provide similar transparent materials, including DSM Somos' Watershed XC 11122 and 3D Systems' Accura ClearVue.

And (my bold):

Quote:

The Objet Eden260V has a print resolution of 600 dpi (42 microns) that is significantly higher than fused deposition modeling (FDM) 3D printers (e.g. Stratasys Dimension, MakerBot, or RepRap) that are typically around 100 dpi (254 microns). High resolution printing allows the creation of visibly smooth models without internal gaps. Model surfaces can be further enhanced with a manual finishing process to achieve optical clarity. This process consists of removing support material, sanding the surfaces with incrementally finer sandpaper, and then buffing.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 March 2013 16:03 UTC]

Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64740 is a reply to message #64674 ] Sun, 24 March 2013 04:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The cool thing about 3D printing, among the other cool things, is that you could design and 3D print a custom polishing machine for each lens you want to 3D print and polish. Very Happy

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64791 is a reply to message #64740 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you all, it was quite educating.

So, the only option is a post-processing polishing. Unfortunately, it would not work in my case: the part is a complicated optical prism and some faces of it are not reachable for polishing.
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64818 is a reply to message #64791 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar leorolph  is currently offline leorolph
Go to my shop
imaterialise do a transparent resin that looks perfectly clear. Im not sure i should be mentioning another 3d printing service here but competition can only make for a better service in the end. though its not cheap. Twisted Evil
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64823 is a reply to message #64818 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 13:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
leo rolph wrote on Mon, 25 March 2013 12:58

imaterialise do a transparent resin that looks perfectly clear. Im not sure i should be mentioning another 3d printing service here but competition can only make for a better service in the end. though its not cheap. Twisted Evil

Their transparent resin is the same as ours. The price listed for their transparent resin is not for perfectly clear, at least last I checked. To get it perfectly clear, requires post production process. Cleaning and polishing. And I believe a chemical to take the yellow out of the transparent resin.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Optical parts with 3D printing? [message #64871 is a reply to message #64823 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 20:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Mon, 25 March 2013 13:24

leo rolph wrote on Mon, 25 March 2013 12:58

Their transparent resin is the same as ours. The price listed for their transparent resin is not for perfectly clear, at least last I checked. To get it perfectly clear, requires post production process. Cleaning and polishing. And I believe a chemical to take the yellow out of the transparent resin.

Really the same? So Shapeways finally got bath-based machines?
The other company

The process takes place in a large tank, and begins when a layer of liquid polymer is spread over a platform. This machine then uses a computer controlled laser to draw the first layer onto the surface of a liquid polymer, which hardens where struck by the laser. The model is then lowered and the next layer is then drawn directly on top of the previous one. This is repeated until the model is finished. In this way, layer by layer, an object is "drawn" in the liquid by the beam, with the layers being consolidated throughout the process.

On the other hand, maybe not at all, theirs is blueish.
The other company

When your model is solid with a thickness greater than 2 cm, the printed part has a bluish shine.

Previous Topic:Materials for miniatures
Next Topic:VRML from Maya never works for me. And for you guys?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.