Home » Community » General Discussion » Back light signage
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Back light signage [message #64533] Thu, 21 March 2013 00:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar CraigP  is currently offline CraigP
Go to all my models
Hello,

My question is regarding material thickness and translucency. I have drawn a sign in Solid Works which has raised letters. I want to back light the letters with LEDs so they stand out. I initially set the wall thickness at .005". After doing some reading this is probably not printable. I have sent a message to William the materials engineer and thought this would be a good place to ask as well.

I plan on using WSF for the sign.

Is there anyone with experience or knowledge of a project? At what thickness is the material not able to pass light.

Thanks.

index.php?t=getfile&id=29407&private=0

• Attachment: ON CALL.jpg
    (Size: 154.03KB, Downloaded 83 time(s))

Re: Back light signage [message #64613 is a reply to message #64533 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mhagan  is currently offline Mhagan
Go to my shop
I work here
Interesting application of WSF. I would use the minimum wall thickness of 0.7mm where you want light to shine through and something around 1.5mm in the opaque areas. Like with most materials, the thicker you make WSF the less light will shine through.

3D Printing Engineer | Shapeways
Re: Back light signage [message #64635 is a reply to message #64613 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 23:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar CraigP  is currently offline CraigP
Go to all my models
Mhagan,

Thank you for the info. The LEDs will by high luman so hopfully a glow will be seen. A gentleman i work with is often interupted while on the phone. This will eleviate the problem hopefully. It will be used in conjunction with a tilt swith on the handset lifter. Call comes in, wireless headset activated, hook lifted tilt swith circuit completed ...Presto.

I appreciate your input.

Previous Topic:Gladiator Figurines
Next Topic:Dragon's Desire Collection

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.