Home » Support » 3D Printing » Precision of Stainless Steel printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Precision of Stainless Steel printing [message #64619] Thu, 21 March 2013 19:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar danbrandner  is currently offline danbrandner
Go to all my models
There is a piece I have modeled that I uploaded to shapeways, but before I actually purchase it, I wanted to know how precise the printing methods are. The model I have needs to be pretty precise for various reasons (like within .01ish inches). So if anybody can give any insight to how precisely shapeways prints its stainless steel, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Re: Precision of Stainless Steel printing [message #64621 is a reply to message #64619 ] Thu, 21 March 2013 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The accuracy listed on the guidelines page is +-2mm. So about .08". There is a good bit of shrinkage and warpage possible in the production of stainless.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Precision of Stainless Steel printing [message #64694 is a reply to message #64621 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 23:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Polytech  is currently offline Polytech
Go to my shop
As a theoretical question though: does anyone know if 0.01" (or better) accuracy is attainable in any non-precious metal using any of 3D printing methods, perhaps some not (yet) offered by Shapeways? I've got a part I'd like to print that needs to spin really fast and +- 2mm is going to create a lot of dis-balance and vibration, and I'm not even sure the part will stay in one piece anyway because the centrifugal forces will probably rip it apart at 5000+ RPMs. So, any tip for a better way to print it will be greatly appreciated!

Polytechforum.com - Save engineering newsgroups. One at a time
Re: Precision of Stainless Steel printing [message #64788 is a reply to message #64694 ] Mon, 25 March 2013 02:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
I don't think that metal printing could meet that level of detail -- yet. As with everything, it will continue to expand and innovate new ways and new technologies, but for now it's fairly rough (from a precise design point of view, anyway). I'd suggest ordering it in plastic, casting it, and getting it made in metal the old-fashioned way for now.

As far as RPM and holding together goes, I'm out of my depth there Smile
Re: Precision of Stainless Steel printing [message #65042 is a reply to message #64694 ] Wed, 27 March 2013 23:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar psalmu  is currently offline psalmu
Go to all my models
i.materialise.com offers direct laser sintered titanium:

http://i.materialise.com/materials/titanium

Previous Topic:Control Stick Grip
Next Topic:Will this print in Full colour Sandstone?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.